RE: Hello!!/Harem Scarem/Buy HS cheap!!!..
Posted by: Don ()
Date: September 01, 2000 12:57AM

Hey R.C.,

It's been a while, eh? Well for your benefit and for everyone else, I will mention the following:

If you want any of Harem Scarem's stuff, your best bet is to order it from A & B Sound (www.absound.ca). It's a Canadian music superstore and the prices are cheaper than pretty much anywhere else. They only carry brand new stuff, and often times its cheaper than what used shops are charging. They can take a while to get the product to you, but they're usually pretty fast with Canadian stuff ()which I guess is easier for the them to get) and/or stuff that they have in stock. In any case, the HS stuff should arrive pretty quickly and I know it's cheap. Other gems for ridiculously low prices I can remember off the top of my head: Honeymoon Suite's first 3-4 albums are priced at $7-8 Canadian/$4-5 U.S., some of Triumph's stuff is pretty cheap if I remember correctly, same with Rush.

I think this is about the 478th time I've posted this info, but there'll always be people around who are new. Hope it helps. Take care.
Don

p.s. - Beware of ordering anything even remotely rare through A & B Sound. It's not that they can't get what they list in their catalogue (they usually do), but sometimes it can take several weeks. Ouch!!!

p.p.s. - I just have to throw my $0.02 worth in regarding some of what you guys have discussed: My fave HS album is the s/t debut. I also love "Mood Swings." and "Karma Cleansing." I know that a lot of people don't consider "KC" to be anywhere near the quality of "MS," but I absolutely do. Although the songs and overall tone of the album is, indeed, darker and moodier, it's still chock full of unbelievably catchy melodies that are total ear candy (the kind that stick in my head for days after giving the disc a single spin). The only track I don't like on that album is the title track, which also leads the album off. I always just skip it. Same goes for HS's "Voice of Reason" album: I just skip it. It's not that I haven't given it a fair chance or enough listens, because I have. I just don't hear anything there that Iike. I'm not crazy about "Big Bang Theory" either, but it's slowly growing on me. I had heard so much about the "Rubber" album before I bought it that I mentally prepared myself before I gave it a single spin. I told myself to completely forget that this was HS. I bought it in the same way I'd buy any other modern rock album (Goo Goo Dolls, Collective Soul, Lit, Foo Fighters, 3 Doors Down, etc.) and with the same kind of expectations. The end result: I wasn't disappointed. And I keep tellin' myself that it's NOT really the same band. They wanted to completely reinvent themselves and they have. I mean jeez, they don't even go by the same name. It's pretty obvious that they just want to forget about what they used to do and move forward. Yes, that disappoints me too, but it's their decision.

The Doctor Rock & the Wild Bunch album reminds me of a slightly heavier version of "Mood Swings." Apparently this album was written and recorded right around that time, and to these ears it sounds closer to "MS" than any other HS album. Some of the songs aren't quite up to par, but many are (and besides, there are something like 14 tracks on it, so that still leaves 9-10 tracks that are VERY high in quality). It's rare, but if you can get your hands on it, I'd recommend that you do.

I'm gonna have to give the two Fiore albums another spin or two (esp. the first one). I remember them as being very HS, and quite good, but without terrific songwriting (ie., few melodies that stick in my head). Maybe I was wrong.

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Harem Scarem Question 144 Hutch 08/31/2000 01:03PM
RE: Harem Scarem Question 105 Kevin 08/31/2000 01:17PM
RE: Harem Scarem Question 103 Rocker Chic 08/31/2000 10:08PM
Oops! 125 Rocker Chic 08/31/2000 10:14PM
RE: Hello!!/Harem Scarem/Buy HS cheap!!!..123 Don 09/01/2000 12:57AM
RE: Harem Scarem Help 120 Derrick 08/31/2000 11:03PM
A couple comments... 116 Tom Krupa 09/01/2000 03:25AM
RE: A couple comments... Question?? 104 Hutch 09/01/2000 05:13AM
RE: Harem Scarem Question: Question for Tom 120 Hutch 09/01/2000 04:05AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.