RE: Ratt/My latest sermon from the mount......
Posted by: Don ()
Date: August 31, 2000 11:03AM

You know, I put off buying this CD too, because of all of the slagging it got after its release. Couple that with the fact that I've never been a big Ratt fan, and you can see why I wasn't in a hurry to pick it up. But then I saw it in the store for such a good price, I simply couldn't resist. I dunno, maybe it's just because my expectations were so low, but and when I finally did crack it open and give it a spin or two, I was pleasantly surprised. It certainly wouldn't make my list of favorite releases of '99, but it's pretty solid nonetheless (IMO). I guess it's all just a matter of taste, innit? Which brings me to my latest rant: I've been away for quite a while (most of the summer) but I was surprised when I recently read some of the comments in the Harem Scarem/Emerald Rain thread. It was suggested that someone must have his "head up his ass" because of his preferences when it came to these artists' releases. Man, I just don't get it. I keep saying this over and over, but I guess I'm gonna say it again: musical taste is just that: musical t.a.s.t.e. Like taste in food, not everyone's is the same. To some people a Big Mac is gourmet, while others prefer pizza or tacos or fillet mignon. You don't hear people goin' around slammin' each other for their taste in food (Can you imagine telling you that you must have your head up your ass because you like BBQ'd pork chops?! It's absurd, isn't it?). So why does it happen with regards to their taste in music? Think about it people: if Harem Scarem's "Mood Swings" happens to be YOUR favorite album, is my head up my ass if I prefer their s/t debut, or "Karma Cleansing" or Def Lep's "Pyromania" or whatever?

As for the notion of "copy artists" never being as good as the originals, well I"m not sure who made that "rule," but as far as I'm concerned that's just a matter of taste too. 'Cuz although I'm a big Journey fan, I happen to prefer a lot of the "copies" (Hugo, Frontline, The Storm, etc.) to releases like Journey's "Trial By Fire."

I'm not tryin' to ruffle feathers here. In fact, just the opposite is true. See, I'd like to think that I'm gonna be able to discuss MY personal preferences on this board without having someone take shots at me because they have a different list of favorites, or because I don't share their exact taste in music. Mind you, if it happens, it happens. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I will never, EVER apologize to anyone or feel any shame whatsoever for my taste in music. What I like is what I like, and if someone out there has a problem with my personal preferences, then they can bet that I'm not about to lose any sleep over it. But, IMO, when they take shots at someone else because of their taste, it does make them look somewhat narrow-minded. There, now I'll try not to twist an ankle while stepping down off my soapbox. Fire away...
Don

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
recent Ratt (Portrait) cd...... 164 Mrpool 08/31/2000 12:33AM
RE: recent Ratt (Portrait) cd...... 119 Vince Viani 08/31/2000 06:13AM
RE: recent Ratt (Portrait) cd...... 105Rocker Dave08/31/2000 07:54AM
RE: Ratt/My latest sermon from the mount......123 Don 08/31/2000 11:03AM
RE: Ratt/My latest sermon - spot on Don! 89 KAOS FAN 08/31/2000 04:34PM
Moose Man, you are such a trouble maker ;) (np) 118 Big Bow Wow 09/01/2000 01:44AM
RE: It's not that I'm a trouble maker... 111 Don 09/01/2000 02:22AM
RE: recent Ratt (Portrait) cd...... 113 John 08/31/2000 07:22PM
RE: recent Ratt (Portrait) cd...... 129Travis09/01/2000 02:46AM
RE: recent Ratt (Portrait) cd...... 96 Carl 09/02/2000 11:10AM
RE: recent Ratt (Portrait) cd...... 130Rocker Dave09/03/2000 09:19AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.