RE: Styx - why their "people" have sided
Posted by: Kevin ()
Date: April 26, 2000 07:36AM

SC wrote:
-------------------------------
When Journey played in Phoenix, there was a big local push to get people out to the show as the band went above and beyond the call to let people know that Steve Perry would not be with them. Granted, the attendance was only about 6500-7000 in a
19,000 seat arena. And that was with ticket prices at $10 each! But I'm sure the members of Journey slept well knowing they did their best to inform their fans(die-hard AND casual) of what to expect at the show. And I commend them for such an effort. I know people who were thinking of going but they had assumed that Steve Perry was going to be there until I informed them otherwise.

The reason for that low attendance--assuming this is the Fall 98 tour--was that Journey was financing that tour--NOT the record label....they didn't have one. That tour was pretty much a test to see if....1) people were still interested in Journey live...and--mainly-- 2) to see if the fans would accept Augeri and Castronovo. Without the backing of a record label, there was little promotion for that tour, which is why ticket sales were really low. On the other hand though, it suceeded on that level as they got a contract near the end of the tour and a big tour last summer with Foreigner......and as anybody who was there can verify, from the shows I saw, people came for Journey and Foreigner never got half the crowd reaction that Journey did.

Needless to say though, I have all the respect in the world for Augeri for pulling off the impossible....replacing one of the most distinctive, and IMO, the best rock vocalist ever. And more, he managed to pull it off to the point that the crowd could have cared less whether Perry was there or not as the energy in those crowds was more than enough to make you realize that there was more to Journey than just Steve Perry and a backup band.

waiting for the new cd in September,
Kevin

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Styx - why their "people" have sided wit 288 SC 04/26/2000 06:39AM
RE: Styx - why their "people" have sided156 Kevin 04/26/2000 07:36AM
RE: Styx - why their "people" have sided 165 SC 04/26/2000 11:15AM
RE: Styx - why their "people" have sided 158 Trapp 04/26/2000 04:09PM
RE: Styx - why their "people" have sided 169 Vicki 04/29/2000 08:10AM
RE: Styx - why their "people" have sided 179 Vicki 04/29/2000 08:15AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.