RE: TEN AND MELODIC ROCK BASHERS!
Posted by: KAOS FAN ()
Date: August 22, 2000 01:57PM

I agree wholeheartedly with the comments of Kieran and Vince. As I mentioned before I don't mind the occassional posting of bands that stray from the genre but I find it strange that some people use this forum to "praise Everclear" et.al to the heavens and then accuse Ten of total plagiarism. In my opinion Ten are inflenced by Whitesnake but lyrically they are more mature and they incorporate orchestral influences much more and are more hard hitting than late Def Leppard, another obvious influence. I'm not saying that Ten are better than those two, just sufficiently different to warrant real respect.
And with reference to John Q, what's this constant reference about Ten being dated in sound and more bizarrely in looks. When I pay my hardearned cash to see a rock act I don't want to see 4 BALD GUYS on stage staring at their shoes in LUMBERJACK clothes! That's what killed the "grunge" scene - total absence of charisma and even more so an inability to cut it live. You know when you go see a band like Night Ranger, Heartland, Ten etc., you're going to see a performance and each time it's going to be different.
And it's utter rubbish that Ten couldn't be bigger! From what I've heard their last album was by far their biggest seller and with promotion bands in the melodic rock genre could only grow. The fact is there is a large disenfranchised rock community out there who like melody, catchy choruses and more positive lyrics than the mindless dance music out there and bands of a nihilistic, aggressive nature like Limp Bizkit and Korn.
I was at a party on Saturday night and I bought along some cds. I was amazed at the reaction of some people - as they heard some of the bands I played like Silent Witness, Heartland and Ten. Many of them loved it even though they earlier claimed "they didn't like rock". They "just haven't been exposed to it". Thus the promotion angle again.
Finally meldoic music is growing! Just look at the current scene in the States. Most successful tour - Poison. Bon Jovi selling well worldwide. Young bands like Hammerfall, Iron Fire and Edguy maintaining the metal traditions of standard bearers of melodic metal like Helloween and Iron Maiden. The next step is the mantle to be passed to new bands in the melodicrock/aor sphere. It's only a matter of time!
Cheers to everyone and keep the faith and to the Everclearians "so much for the afterglow"! KAOS FAN!

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
TEN AND MELODIC ROCK BASHERS! 147 KAOS FAN 08/21/2000 11:26AM
Y┬┤know... 99Steve, Denmark08/21/2000 08:56PM
RE: TEN AND MELODIC ROCK BASHERS! 102Surfpunk08/22/2000 03:34AM
RE: TEN AND MELODIC ROCK BASHERS! 80 Vince Viani 08/22/2000 08:52AM
RE: TEN AND MELODIC ROCK BASHERS! 105John Q08/22/2000 09:55AM
RE: TEN AND MELODIC ROCK BASHERS! 94 Kieran 08/22/2000 10:32AM
RE: TEN AND MELODIC ROCK BASHERS!91 KAOS FAN 08/22/2000 01:57PM
RE: TEN AND MELODIC ROCK BASHERS! 95Gav08/23/2000 03:39AM
At the end of the day... 90Surfpunk08/23/2000 04:31AM
RE: TEN,AOR and moving with times!s! 109 KAOS FAN 08/23/2000 05:06PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.