RE: TEN AND MELODIC ROCK BASHERS!
Posted by: John Q ()
Date: August 22, 2000 09:55AM

Kaos, I think you are getting a little too worked up over this whole issue. Yes, Ten are much closer to classic melodic rock than Everclear, but the latter certainly ARE melodic rock even though they come from a more alternative angle. The same goes for Mars Electric, Neve, Goo Goo Dolls, Dishwalla, Marv 3 and others. What matters in the end are the songs, and some of these non-traditional melodic rock bands happen to write some damn good ones. The other thing that I find funny is that traditionalists like you call everything 'a trend' - except for the type of music they happen to like the most. FYI: Classic melodic rock and the type of stuff that came out of (mostly) L.A. en masse in the late 80's was just as much a 'trend' as grunge, alternative or electronica. Everything starts as a 'trend'!

I, for one, think you're dreaming if you think a band like Ten will ever go beyond the quite respectful success they're having now. They are very good at what they do, but they sound pretty dated in relation to where rock is right now, and they certainly date themselves with their image. The fact that they're probably all in their mid-30's doesn't help either - nobody ever hits it big at that age. Rock'n'roll is a youth business, always has been, always will be, and if you can't sell it to the kids via MTV and Teen Beat - it simply ain't gonna sell because there aren't enough people over 25 that care enough to go out and buy records by new bands.

Also, I think it it silly that 'true believers' like yourself get mad at others who have a broader view of what constitutes melodic rock and dare to take issue with certain things, such as stagnation within the genre. Every genre and sub-genre peaks sooner or later and after that it is generally downhill. That, IMO, happens to be the case with melodic rock as well as classic metal (when was the last time something as ass-kicking as the new Halfrod came out? Years ago...) and other styles. There's only so much that can be done before things get redundant and that's usually when people move on to other things, musicians as well as fans, or lose interest altogether. I'm not saying there aren't any good bands out there anymore, but nothing will ever have the impact that Foreigner, Journey, Boston, and all the 80's bands had when melodic rock was in its infancity or starting to peak.

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
TEN AND MELODIC ROCK BASHERS! 156 KAOS FAN 08/21/2000 11:26AM
Y┬┤know... 104Steve, Denmark08/21/2000 08:56PM
RE: TEN AND MELODIC ROCK BASHERS! 108Surfpunk08/22/2000 03:34AM
RE: TEN AND MELODIC ROCK BASHERS! 82 Vince Viani 08/22/2000 08:52AM
RE: TEN AND MELODIC ROCK BASHERS!110John Q08/22/2000 09:55AM
RE: TEN AND MELODIC ROCK BASHERS! 100 Kieran 08/22/2000 10:32AM
RE: TEN AND MELODIC ROCK BASHERS! 94 KAOS FAN 08/22/2000 01:57PM
RE: TEN AND MELODIC ROCK BASHERS! 100Gav08/23/2000 03:39AM
At the end of the day... 100Surfpunk08/23/2000 04:31AM
RE: TEN,AOR and moving with times!s! 116 KAOS FAN 08/23/2000 05:06PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.