RE: TEN AND MELODIC ROCK BASHERS!
Posted by: Vince Viani ()
Date: August 22, 2000 08:52AM

Hi Surfpunk,

I don't mean to sound condescending or anything like that, but why on earth would you post messages HERE about Everclear considering the style of music they play?

Nothing wrong with the band...it's just that this is a melodic rock forum. There are loads of other alternative music forums on the Internet!

I don't think we should compromise the integrity of the discussion board just because we want to tell people about other cool jazz, blues, alternative bands, etc.

As for the plagiarism debate....can you tell me which rock bands are 100 percent original?

There isn't a single one that is 100 percent original (and thankfully so)

The fact is, Gary Hughes' style is very striking and quite original. Just listen to the vocal harmonies on "This Time" on his Precious Ones cd, and the way Gary arranged the lyrics. That is sheer brilliance and no one else could have pulled it off so well.

Or have a listen to "The Loneliest Place in the World" on Ten S/t, which shows off Gary's distinct songwriting style. For one thing, his phrasing is very unique and every time you listen to a Ten or Gary Hughes song you know it's them!

There is no doubt that Gary's influences show up in his music, but to say he is ripping others off is just plain false. If you believe this to be true, why not provide a detailed analysis of which song, which section, etc.

Then, and only then, can you claim that he is plagiarising

Cheers

Vince

Surfpunk wrote:
-------------------------------
Actually, if you saw the 'review' of 'Babylon' I posted a week or so ago you would have noticed that I said that it was, in the end, an impressive piece of work despite the way the result was achieved. (A reference to the plagiarism on offer).

I also said it would sit well in any TEN fan's collection and recommended that people get a listen to it themselves and make up their own minds. Sounds fair enough doesn't it?

The reason I post other recommendations on melodicrock.com is because I feel there is a whole world of music out there that some people on this board may be into if they actually heard it. I know other people have turned me on to some excellent new bands on this board and I hope I can do the same. I want to avoid this site becoming www.stuckinarut.com or www.tunnelvision.com and I believe Andrew has a similarly broad taste. I just think it's important that we all look forwards for the scene as well as backwards for inspiration.

And, for the record, both the TEN and....

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
TEN AND MELODIC ROCK BASHERS! 130 KAOS FAN 08/21/2000 11:26AM
Y┬┤know... 84Steve, Denmark08/21/2000 08:56PM
RE: TEN AND MELODIC ROCK BASHERS! 87Surfpunk08/22/2000 03:34AM
RE: TEN AND MELODIC ROCK BASHERS!67 Vince Viani 08/22/2000 08:52AM
RE: TEN AND MELODIC ROCK BASHERS! 85John Q08/22/2000 09:55AM
RE: TEN AND MELODIC ROCK BASHERS! 83 Kieran 08/22/2000 10:32AM
RE: TEN AND MELODIC ROCK BASHERS! 77 KAOS FAN 08/22/2000 01:57PM
RE: TEN AND MELODIC ROCK BASHERS! 80Gav08/23/2000 03:39AM
At the end of the day... 78Surfpunk08/23/2000 04:31AM
RE: TEN,AOR and moving with times!s! 91 KAOS FAN 08/23/2000 05:06PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.