RE: Magnum info and help
Posted by: Kevin ()
Date: August 18, 2000 04:19AM

I mostly agree with ChrisD here, but here are my views for what it's worth.

Soundwise, hmm....maybe Ten is close enough. The Bob Catley solo cds are even closer to the Magnum sound (and more than just Bob's voice)--especially "The Tower".

Also is On A Storyteller's Night really as good as everyone says it is or is there another Magnum cd that is better.

OASN is really good and the start of their "great" period for me (and a lot of others). This was a branch between their earlier pomp sound (ie Chase the Dragon) to the more AOR sound. Only bad point I can think of about OASN was that it is plauged by the poor production of their 1st albums.

"Vigilante", which followed was more of a pop sound and a good bridge between OASN and "Wings of Heaven". Start of the good productions from here on, even though the keyboards were a bit higher here than the others (Some might have a problem with this).

WOH--my personal favorite--was, for me, the best mixture of the epic and the mainstream sides of Magnum. You had the straight-ahead rock songs (Days of No Trust, Start Talking Love, Different Worlds, Pray For the Day, Maybe Tonight [MT was only on the US version]), a little leftover fantasy idea from the Chase the Dragon era (One Step Away), a huge ballad (It Must Have Been Love), and the 2 of their best epic, tempo changing songs (Wild Swan, Don't Wake the Lion).
GREAT production here!!!!

After WOH, they changed styles a bit (Magnum never made the same cd twice--so don't try to find "OASN, part 2" becasue it doesn't exist!) with an attempt to the US (Goodnight L.A.) along with a few other cds, but those are better left until you get to know the band a bit.

Starting points......

hmm...I'll give you a few options. Any of these would work equally good as an intro.

1. Any of the above 3 mentioned (OASN, Vigilante, WOH) would work as an intro. OASN and WOH are considered the "best" cds usually.

2. "Chapter & Verse - The Best of Magnum". This is my pick as an intro to Magnum. It's a compilation of singles released from OASN, Vigilante, WOH and Goodnight L.A. Also has one or two live songs and most of the b-sides from those cds. It also gives a general idea of what each cd sounds like and you can get the cds in order of personal preference.

3. "Bob Catley - The Tower". IMO, Catley's best since WOH, even though it was written by Gary Hughes. Pretty much an even mixture of Ten and Magnum (OASN and WOH mostly even though there are traces of some of the earlier cds) in a modern sounding production--and in the end, sounds more like "classic Magnum" than Magnum did at the end. For me, this is a little more accessable than the Magnum material for someone not in Europe as it has a little more of the US feel to it at places. If you like this, then you will enjoy the Magnum cds.

welcome to the world of Magnum,
Kevin

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Magnum info and help 145 Wolf 08/18/2000 01:28AM
RE: Magnum info and help 99 ChrisD 08/18/2000 02:03AM
RE: Magnum info and help 112 Vince Viani 08/18/2000 04:07AM
RE: Magnum info and help98 Kevin 08/18/2000 04:19AM
RE: Magnum info and help 111 Mike 08/18/2000 08:44AM
RE: Magnum info and help 74 Ten fan no2 08/18/2000 06:47AM
RE: Magnum info and help 98 Dave NI 08/18/2000 09:34PM
RE: Magnum info and help 93 Alex siedler 08/19/2000 12:31AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.