RE: Question for Andrew and others-PLEASE READ!
Posted by: Vince Viani ()
Date: August 12, 2000 02:01AM

Hi Steve,

This has been the best topic yet...excellent!

I have no idea about what bands make on the tours, but I do know that at least on the independent labels, bands don't really sell that much. Unless of course, the band is Ten, which in that case they do make a living from doing music and quite a good one (from what I hear)

I think if a band on one of those labels sells 10,000 copies the label will be quite happy, but I doubt that a band could make a living selling only that many records

However, if it's not a band, and it's a solo artist....then it's a different story. Especially if they have their own studio and record everything there (so as to keep expenses way down)

At the end of the day, it all depends on the type of deal you have...so it's quite difficult to say how many copies you'd need to sell in order to make a living...

But it is safe to say that the vast majority of AOR/MHR artists do not do only music for a living....it's sad but that's the way things are

I don't mind....because since they are on independent labels they have full musical control, integrity, and can release great records without worrying about selling 2 million copies or all the other bullocks associated with being signed to a major label

If you ask me...I love the state of the scene the way it is. We get great albums full of great songs, and can see our favourite artists up close...does it get much better than this?

Cheers

Vince

Steve wrote:
-------------------------------
OK, this has been bothering me for quite awhile now, How are any of the bands out there able to make a living? Don't jump on me yet hear me out...

Ok, we have all these bands like Attraction, Shang Hai, Danger Danger, Hair of the Dog(you can basically add any band here), etc... that have released cd's this year. Here in the good ole' USA, they are probably basically ignored as far as the mainstream public is concerned. Some go out on tour and play to about 500-1500 people if they are lucky. Case in point Dokken and Cinderella played here not too long ago to about a 1000+(ten years ago that # would have been 10,000+), tickets were about $20.00 or so. For a gross of about $20,000. Is that good? I don't know. I guess after expenses the band maybe gets a decent cut and if they played to crowds like that every week or night it could add up to a decent profit...

Realistically how many cd's do these bands actually sell, do they make more money going on tour? Because CD sales(a....

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Question for Andrew and others-PLEASE READ! 144 Steve 08/11/2000 11:31PM
RE: Question for Andrew and others-PLEASE READ!104 Vince Viani 08/12/2000 02:01AM
RE: Question for Andrew and others-PLEASE READ! 95 Doug Howard/Stun Leer 08/12/2000 02:15AM
RE: Question for Andrew and others-PLEASE READ! 106 Steve 08/12/2000 02:38AM
RE: Question for Andrew and others-PLEASE READ! 124 Doug Howard/Stun Leer 08/12/2000 03:47AM
RE: STUN LEER!! 97 Vince Viani 08/12/2000 06:17AM
Thanks for the reply Doug.....at least it's honest 109 Kieran 08/12/2000 03:56AM
RE: Thanks for the reply Doug...I second that 98Steve, Denmark08/12/2000 04:18AM
Doug, Thank You! 127 Rocker Chic 08/12/2000 05:38AM
Doug. You are an inspiration. 102 Rammy 08/12/2000 06:39AM
RE: Question for Andrew and others-PLEASE READ! 89John Q08/12/2000 07:06AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.