RE: Tall Stories
Posted by: Kevin ()
Date: August 11, 2000 09:05AM

Jack wrote:
-------------------------------

I feel Augeri is an outstanding vocalist in his own right. Like Shadow King, Tall Stories is one of those albums where opinions are sharply divided....a love-it-or-hate-it CD. Like Robert, I was very diappointed by that CD (save a song or two like Wild on the Run) and felt it was nothing special, but you have to give credit where it's due: Augeri is incredible.

I think "restless one" was the song that did it for me. TS is a love-it-or-hate-it cd, and generally speaking, I'm in the love category--there are some gems on there.

So while I agree with Robert that the songwriting on Tall Stories was below par, that's certainly no way to measure Augeri
because I'm sure Schon/Cain handled the bulk of the songwriting on Arival anyway. And if it were a good measure of talent, just
look at Perry's shitty solo albums (which have a few exceptions like "You Better Wait" but are pretty putrid overall). He's still an
amzing vocalist, he just can't write better-than-average material.

yes....unfortunately, Perry's solo cds are generally average with some really good songs and other filler material.....and wouldn't even be as good as they are if you didn't have someone of his caliber on vocals. Perry's vox went a long way to making some of those songs listenable, but you have to have a decent song to start with because he can only carry it so far.

As for the Journey - Bad English/Hardline comparison, it's really not fair. Journey has had a far longer track record. Plus, they're
considered one of the initiators of AOR along with other old bands like Foreigner, if not *the* main initiator. So Journey is a band
with more heritage to the degree that it might be considered sacrilegous not to like them. But I feel that Bad English is a better
band.....they're just more consistent. In only two albums, they maintained a better level of songwriting than Journey did.

hmm.....I actually thought the BE cds were a bit patchy. I'd give the 1st cd the edge even though there were some really good songs on the 2nd. Combine the best moments of both and you would get a really good cd, but, IMO, the output didn't match the talent in the band.

Bad
English had an awesome potential and wouln't have ever realeased a just-okay album like Trial By Fire.

I kinda like TBF--it's one of those growers that is good once you get it but it takes a bit of time. It had a few of their best on there, but also had a few songs that probably could have been lost without a problem.

Don't get me wrong,
Jounrey has its marvelous gems, but also its fair share of garbage and medicority. I feel that if Bad English or Hardline, with only 3
albums between them, had been given a chance to develop over time like Journey, they could have been better. I'm not saying
they would have been more popular than Journey, just more consistent.

Hardline was very good though. I do agree though that neither BE nor Hardline probably ever reached their potential. I would love to have heard another album by either group. Some stuff like "Rebel Say a Prayer" off the BE Backlash and a few songs off the 1st one (ie "The Restless Ones") showed a lot of potential that was never really fulfilled.
Hardline seemed to gell a bit better and one can wonder what might have happened on the 2nd cd....

Adding to it, you also have The Storm as a Journey-offshoot which seemed to work very well also, and I would probably rate Eye of the Storm as more solid than any Journey cd released--add a slightly more energetic production, maybe one or two rockers, lose "Livin' It Up" and you would about have the perfect AOR cd.

Any way you look at it though, the quality of the Journey side-projects (not counting Perry's solo stuff) just proved the huge amount of talent in the band.

Kevin

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
2000000 Hits 133 Susumu 08/10/2000 01:46AM
RE: 2000000 Hits 85 Daniel 08/10/2000 03:51AM
Me too dude 86 Benno 08/10/2000 10:37AM
Bad English 102 Kevin 08/10/2000 11:23AM
RE: 2000000 Hits 78 Eric 08/10/2000 12:50PM
Tall Stories 101Robert08/10/2000 11:21PM
RE: Tall Stories 95 sfk kurt 08/11/2000 01:32AM
RE: Tall Stories 101 dee 08/11/2000 02:58AM
RE: Tall Stories 105Jack08/11/2000 06:59AM
RE: Tall Stories91 Kevin 08/11/2000 09:05AM
RE: Tall Stories and some other stuff... 108 Daniel 08/11/2000 09:19AM
RE: Tall Stories and some other stuff... 94 Sven 08/11/2000 04:29PM
A name for it.... 119Jack!08/12/2000 06:26AM
RE: A name for it.... 95Rocker Dave08/12/2000 08:57PM
RE: Tall Stories and some other stuff... 79 sfk kurt 08/12/2000 10:06PM
some other stuff... 106 Daniel 08/13/2000 02:11AM
RE: some other stuff... 146 sfk kurt 08/13/2000 06:12AM
RE: Steve Augeri 109Surfpunk08/11/2000 06:54AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.