Journey- my thoughts
Posted by: c dog ()
Date: August 08, 2000 03:30PM

I've been reading these posts for the past couple of days regarding Journey, and I've actually been a little disappointed with everybody slamming everybody else about the band (I hope to God that this doesn't turn into another flame war like we witnessed with VH a few months ago). I've been hesitant about posting on this topic, but with Journey being one of my favorite bands of all time, I decided to throw in my three cents now...

Whether "Perry is Journey" or "Schon is Journey" or "Cain wrote the hits" is irrelevant to me. I've always thought Journey was great, regardless of the line-up. The first three Journey albums might not have been accepted by a lot of people, but I for one, love those albums because the musicianship is incredible (check out "Of a Lifetime", "Topaz" and "Kohoutek" and you'll see what I mean). OK, then Perry gets on board and their sound changes into a radio-friendly and commercially viable format. Fine with me, because I love that stuff too (i.e. Infinity through Captured). But here's my perspective on that: when Perry became their new singer, I didn't regard it as the same band- I accepted it for what it was- a new Journey release with a new singer. Sure, it said "Journey" on all of the album covers, but it was different. No way in hell should anybody lump the two line-ups into the same category. That's like trying to compare apples to oranges. (Another example is VH's change from DLR to Hagar- it was different, but I liked both line-ups for different reasons.) The same thing happened when Cain joined the band. The Escape through ROR years were different than before, and once again, I didn't lump the previous line-ups into the same category. It was different!!! Now, we have Steve Augeri taking over the microphone for Journey and he's already getting slammed left and right by people calling him a Perry wannabe. Personally, I have only heard the Armegeddon song (which I liked a lot) and that's it, but I've heard a lot of good things about Augeri, and when the CD and tour hits, I refuse to cross my arms and be close-minded about him being the new frontman for Journey. It's going to be different, and I accept that, and there's no way in hell I'm going to criticize him (or the band) because of any comparisons to Perry. It's a different band now, and they will SOUND like a different band now. I hope all of you Augeri naysayers look at it from that point of view as well, instead of slamming him.

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is no need to compare one Journey line-up to another. If there's a different line-up, there will be another musical direction and sound. Period. End of story...

For the record, in regards to any solo albums and side bands that the Journey members have been involved with, I liked all of them (Hardline, The Storm, Schon's "Late Nite", etc.) except for Perry's solo efforts (which is a shame because he is by far, without a doubt, my favorite vocalist ever). I just couldn't get into the solo stuff except for "Captured by the Moment" and "You Better Wait". I tried to get into to his solo work, but it hasn't worked for me... yet...

In regards the Napster fiasco, I really couldn't care less. It's a shame that some sleazeball out there got a substandard copy and decided to share it with the world, but I'm waiting for 9/12. The anticipation of an OFFICIAL release is part of the buzz of a new release to me.

Sorry for the soapbox episode. I hope all of you are doing well.

c dog

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Journey- my thoughts82c dog08/08/2000 03:30PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.