RE: The Unband
Posted by: Rocker Chic ()
Date: August 02, 2000 11:02PM

Yeah, IMO, they *did* suck. The problem with most opening bands is that they rarely are appropriately teamed up with the headliner -- especially if the opener is a relatively unknown. All too often you will get shows where the opener and the headliner are completely different styles of music. When someone is a fan of a band such as Def Leppard, it is a very rare occurrence when that person would also enjoy a band that is the complete opposite of the headliner's style of music.

I think it is more the promoters that have a say in this sort of thing rather than the headlining band itself. Most often these tours are put together to promote both bands whether or not they complement each other. I really think that they are doing the openers a disservice when they try to do this, because they are clearly not targeting the right audience in the first place.

More often than not, they end up sabotaging these efforts when fans start spreading their displeasure of the opener. Word of mouth travels very quickly, as we all can see from being a part of the Internet explosion, so I'm sure that will in turn discourage other fans from even giving these guys a chance in the future. Had they have been paired with the likes of harder, more alternative style bands, the crowd may have responded quite differently.

With the music business in the state that it is in, I would hope that these promoters/labels would develop a more strategic marketing ploy. I would have definitely enjoyed the likes of Vaughn or Danny Danzi much better. ;-)

Rocker Chic

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Def Leppard Rocked 191 Jeff 07/31/2000 09:54PM
RE: Def Leppard Rocked 146 Eric 07/31/2000 10:31PM
RE: Def Leppard Rocked 126 Rocker Chic 08/02/2000 12:07AM
RE: Def Leppard Rocked 110 Snake65 08/02/2000 10:11PM
RE: The Unband174 Rocker Chic 08/02/2000 11:02PM
Leppard rock US shock!! 160Surfpunk08/03/2000 05:03AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.