RE: Van Halen vids...
Posted by: F.O.R.D. ()
Date: July 29, 2000 02:41AM

Benno wrote:
-------------------------------
Been doing myself a bit of purchasing lately, picked up Van Halen's Live: Right Here, Right Now. Anyone familiar with it? Probably a silly question as I seem to be the last one getting my hands on this sort of stuff. Anyway, so I got it home, sat down with a few beers and watched the first one - Live Without a Net, I love that vid - and then put in RHRN straight after. WOW, what a difference. Just the little things you notice.

Sammy only picks up a guitar once and that was an accoutistic for two songs. Just the difference in attitude the guys portrayed from the stage. LWAN was filmed in 88 I think (not sure there, haven't read the credits) and RHRN was in '92. All the guys except for Michael just look really tired, struggling to go through the motions, like they couldn't really fire up. Less Sammy material played, even less DLR material, in fact its mostly FUCK material.

---------------------------------

That was my complaint about the RHRN album and video- that it was essentially FUCK live, plus a couple Sammy solo songs and Sammy singing Dave's stuff, which we all could do without. A better mix of material from the first 3 Van Hagar albums (5150, OU812, FUCK) would have been in order. As for Sammy and guitars, I think It got to Eddie that he had another capable guitarist in the band (though not as good as him obviously) and he didn't want to let Sammy take any more of the leads, even on the keyboard songs. The exception would be on "One Way to Rock" in which the dual guitar battle of Sam and Eddie elevates the song far above the version on Sammy's "standing Hampton" album.
By the way LWAN was filmed in 1986 during one of Van Hagar's first concerts on the 5150 tour.
------------------------------------
Benno:

It was interesting hearing Sammy introduce Ed's guitar solo too, "...my very good friend and neighbour..." and also seeing Sammy's atire, "Red Rocker" plastered over a lot of it. In fact when he fairwelled the crowd at the end, he actually says "...and the Red Rocker Sammy Hagar...".

Another thing too, was when a keyboard intro started up for a song, Ed didn't jump up behind the keys to play with Sammy playing rythm or something, it was actually recorded or whatever, and Ed just does his normal guitar parts.
---------------------------------------

At the time of this tour, Sammy did have a house near Eddie's (which later went to his ex wife Betsy in their divorce settlement) and they were still close friends. The "Red Rocker" stuff was just Sammy's name for himself and I don't think Sammy had any thoughts of a solo career at that time. As I said before, I think it bothered Eddie that another guitarist was playing his parts on the keyboard songs, so he started using tapes, computers or whatever (there are rumors that Sammy's old friend Alan Fitzgerald -of Night Ranger fame also- played the keys in secret on the Balance tour)

----------------------------------------
Benno:

I rate the video actually, but watching it straight after watching LWAN probably wasn't wise, different era, different energy. I also rate the Van Hagar material, especially FUCK and Balance, so the track list is also a pleasure to hear. In fact its a shame none of the Balance material got showcased live in a recording of some sort, some of that would be HUGE live, Seventh Seal, Don't Tell Me, great potential.
-------------------------------------------

They did a pay per view concert from Toronto on the Balance tour. It's around in bootleg form no doubt, and since it was professionally shot, would be worth the money if you can find it. Check the various Sammy Hagar sites or the Up Front Fanatics thread at VH links. Those guys are serious Sammy worshippers and I wouldn't be surprised if they could hook you up with the video.

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Van Halen vids... 147 Benno 07/28/2000 03:33PM
RE: Van Halen vids...121 F.O.R.D. 07/29/2000 02:41AM
RE: Van Halen vids... 121 Steve 07/29/2000 10:31AM
RE: Van Halen vids... 94 brent 07/29/2000 01:16PM
Great points 103 Benno 07/31/2000 12:47PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.