RE: Dennis DeYoung
Posted by: Debbie ()
Date: April 25, 2000 05:31AM

1. Dennis has already given numerous radio and Internet interviews over the course of the past year, so this is NOT his first run at providing his story -- however, bits and pieces do seem to change and/or get elaborated on (go seek them out for yourself -- there are tons of them).

2. The touring band "Styx" is comprised of JY and Tommy (of course), but also includes a past bandmember (who has also contributed many songwriting credits for Styx) Glen Burtnik, their new drummer, Todd Sucherman (who has been a bonafide member of Styx since the untimely passing of John Panozzo), and Chuck Panozzo (an original member), who has been frequently joining Styx on stage at several, if not most, of their shows since the tour began last year. He is in full support of this touring lineup and looks damn happy to be there, however, he just chose not to do a full tour with them to allow free time to do his own thing and deal with his brother's and his mother's recent deaths. (Can't really blame the guy for that, can you?)

3. They are currently in litigation which we do not know the details of, but I'm sure that lawyers have advised the parties involved to remain mum on the subject to some degree. I'd handle it the same way, if I were them.

4. CMC forced them to finish the album, therefore, a promotional tour was necessary (see Dennis' Midwest Beat Magazine article -- in his own words). They had contracted Styx to deliver an album by a certain date and, therefore, expected delivery. Also, the rising popularity and exposure that Styx was experiencing at the time ("Big Daddy," South Park, and the Volkswagon "Roboto" commercials, etc.), dictated that they push ahead as scheduled and "ride the wave."

5. Dennis was not granted access to the Styx website probably because (note: Dennis really didn't bother much to contribute to that site in the first place; he was perfectly happy to have Tommy do it):

(a) it is owned by Styx management and Dennis has a different management company, AND/OR
(b) Litigation had already begun and I suspect that had something to do with it.

6. There is a whole lot more that is NOT being told. There are three sides to every story: his, theirs, and the truth. Do not allow one side, i.e., Dennis', to cloud your judgement (BTW, Tommy and JY have only really given one interview that I know of -- the Montreal article that Andrew re-posted a while back -- where they discuss this situation). If you really read DDY's interviews in succession -- see the list of URLs at the end of this post -- you will see this for yourself.

I had felt sorry for Dennis and his "illness" in the beginning, but have soon started to question and doubt his story after reading/hearing his words several times. He would have everyone believe that it is just 2 guys from Styx when, to anyone who really knows who they are and their history, know that is far from the truth.

He would also have you believe that he IS Styx, when he was the one to ask to join John and Chuck Panozzo when he heard them playing in their garage. Also, he seems to forget that other original members of Styx do INDEED own *shares* of the Styx name and therefore have just as much right (or maybe even more if they are all in agreement) to the Styx name as he claims he does. The touring band is doing nothing to *damage* the Styx name and they still manage to send hundreds and thousands of fans home with a happy smile on their face (I know this from personal experience).

DDY also conveniently fails to mention Chuck's support of this lineup in all of his interviews, claiming that he is "retired." Just go to a show or two and you're bound to see Chuck join them during "Fooling Yourself."

Dennis has also not been the sweetest to us Internet fans, as follows:

From Andrew's Interview:
-----------------------------------
"Other than getting on the web and dealing with a small amount of people who'll click on and basically drink your bath water if you want them too."

From Allan Hirt's Interview:
--------------------------------------
"AH: Basically, people are supporting the tour."
DDY: "You mean the 600 people on the Internet?"
AH: "Yeah ... people are going, and then you have your people who are like, well, 'We know it's not the same ...'"
DDY: "They're desperate to have anything."

If you were to listen to DDY talk about us, you would think that he views us as mindless drones and that we don't have the ability to make up our own minds as to what we want or what we don't. Denny, I got news for you... The Internet fans only comprise *a very small percentage* of the entire attendance at these show's, and the band have been selling out far more venues than DDY would like to admit.

The showmanship, professionalism, and talent displayed by the touring band is impeccible and hard to deny. I have seen quite a few of them so far, and I would gladly go again. It's unfortunate that Dennis can no longer be with them, but I am willing to support them as long as Styx can go on and produce the music I love.

To me, that is what is most important...

Debbie

*********************************************************************************************

List of Dennis DeYoung Articles:
----------------------------------------------
3/1/00 - DENNIS DEYOUNG - THE GRAND ILLUSION *
This article provides Styx history and current status, and quotes from Dennis.
Written by David Richards . Publisher: Lexicon Magazine Thanks to Lexicon Magazine Online for permission to reprint this article.

2/14/00 - Chicago Tribune Rosemont 2/12 Concert Review *
The Chicago Tribune 2/12 Rosemont review.
Written by Chicago Tribune . Publisher: Chicago Tribune Thanks to Chicago Tribune for permission to reprint this article.

2/14/00 - Dennis DeYoung Saturday, February 12, 2000 *
Illinois Entertainer's review of the 2/12 Rosemont show.
Written by John Everson . Publisher: Illinois Entertainer Thanks to Illinois Entertainer for permission to reprint this article.

2/14/00 - Dennis DeYoung - The Heart And Soul Of STYX Steps Out!
Midwest Beat Magazine reviewed the Rosemont 2/12 show.
Written by Tom Lounges . Publisher: Midwest Beat Magazine Thanks to Midwest http://www.midwestbeat.com/ezine/feb/deyoung.html.

10/31/99 - STYX - Behind The Grand Illusion *
This article talks in-depth about the current album and tour, and also contains extensive quotes from band members.
Written by John Everson . Publisher: Illinois Entertainer Thanks to Illinois Entertainer for permission to reprint this article.

10/24/99 - STYX: SET AN OPEN COURSE FOR THE VIRGIN SEA - Part III *
Goldmine Article Styx Feature - Part III, Brave New World
Written by Chuck Miller . Publisher: Goldmine Magazine Thanks to Goldmine Magazine for permission to reprint this article.

10/23/99 - STYX: SET AN OPEN COURSE FOR THE VIRGIN SEA Part II *
Goldmine Article Styx Feature - Part II, Superstars
Written by Chuck Miller . Publisher: Goldmine Magazine Thanks to Goldmine Magazine for permission to reprint this article.

10/22/99 - STYX: SET AN OPEN COURSE FOR THE VIRGIN SEA *
Goldmine Article Styx Feature - Part I, The Beginning and Wooden Nickel Years

10/8/99 - Grand Illusions: An Exclusive Collector's Guide Interview With Dennis DeYoung
Allan Hirt, who has interviewed Dennis in the past for Keyboard Magazine, has a brand-new, in-depth interview with Dennis from October 8th. This is an excellent interview which covers many of the recent issues surrounding Styx and the latest on Dennis's health. In addition, Allan has much more Dennis and Styx related information on his website.
Written by Allan Hirt . Publisher: Allan Hirt
http://members.tripod.com/styxdiscog/index.html

9/1/96 - Dennis DeYoung - Road Report
1996 Keyboard Magazine Dennis DeYoung article - this article was written during the Return to Paradise tour, and has lots of information on Dennis's touring keyboard equipment. Special thanks to Allan Hirt for permission to include this article on our site.
Written by Allan Hirt . Publisher: Keyboard magazine
http://members.tripod.com/styxdiscog/index.html.

* = Articles located at http://www.grandillusionmusic.com

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Dennis DeYoung 425 SC 04/24/2000 02:47AM
RE: Dennis DeYoung 315 Ann 04/24/2000 07:02AM
RE: Dennis DeYoung 326 Elaine 04/25/2000 03:45AM
RE: Dennis DeYoung 263 Jonathan 04/26/2000 01:00AM
RE: Dennis DeYoung 268 Stacy 04/26/2000 01:42AM
RE: Dennis DeYoung 269 Jane 04/26/2000 02:26AM
RE: Dennis DeYoung 247 Todd 04/26/2000 06:53AM
RE: Dennis DeYoung 234 Vicki 04/26/2000 08:55AM
RE: Dennis DeYoung 249 Jane Sharma 04/26/2000 11:12AM
RE: Dennis DeYoung 260 Dawn-Marie 04/25/2000 03:09AM
RE: Dennis DeYoung 249 Todd 04/26/2000 01:18AM
RE: Dennis DeYoung303 Debbie 04/25/2000 05:31AM
RE: Dennis DeYoung 676 Vicki 04/25/2000 09:14AM
RE: Dennis DeYoung 260 ZanGatti 04/25/2000 09:53AM
RE: Dennis DeYoung 238 Jane Sharma 04/25/2000 10:15AM
RE: Dennis DeYoung 302 Rather Large Canine 04/25/2000 10:26AM
RE: Dennis DeYoung 270 Todd 04/26/2000 06:56AM
RE: Dennis DeYoung 270 Vicki 04/26/2000 09:00AM
RE: Dennis DeYoung 249 Jane 04/26/2000 11:14AM
RE: Dennis DeYoung 256 Debbie 04/27/2000 03:23AM
Maybe We Need Tommy Shaw Side Of This Story 274 Susumu 04/25/2000 09:45AM
RE: Maybe We Need Tommy Shaw Side Of This Story 314 Todd 04/26/2000 07:02AM
RE: Maybe We Need Tommy Shaw Side Of This Story 285 Jan 04/26/2000 08:12AM
RE: Maybe We Need Tommy Shaw Side Of This Story 282 Vicki 04/26/2000 09:06AM
RE: Maybe We Need Tommy Shaw Side Of This Story 281 Stacy 04/26/2000 09:08AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.