RE: My thoughts on the topic...
Posted by: Don ()
Date: July 29, 2000 06:32AM

Hi all,
Wow, there have been a lot of very good points made in this discussion, and I agree with many of you. John Q, as usual, you have especially put a great deal of thought into your comments and I personally believe that your insight is pretty close to being "bang on." I will offer the following, though:

1) Although I haven't been to any of the Poison/Slaughter/Dokken/Firehouse etc. shows, I have read numerous times that, like Snake65 says, there are apparently quite a few young people in the audience. Seems hard to believe, but that's what's being reported.

2) I've explained the above phenomenon to myself in the following way: There is always a segment of the young population which consciously goes out of its way to avoid any current popular trends. And by today's standards, almost everything musical is trendy except "our" kind of music. Think about it: it's hip to love the beatles and the whole '60s/psychadelic thing, to love swing, to love rap, to love Latin music, to love disco, to love rapcore, to love hiphop, to love acapella & it's modern-day spinoff (the "boy band" thing), to love soul, to love dance/techno, to love pop (a la Britney Spears, etc.) to love the diva thing (Celine Dion, Cher, Christina Aguilera), to love alternative, to love punk/grunge, etc. etc. etc. For the young person who wants to escape trends (and possibly work toward setting his/her own trend), AOR/MHR is one of the only available options left. Jeez, where I live, it's even cool for young people to love country music. I DJ'd a wedding reception last weekend and the hall was packed full of people in their late teens and early to mid twenties. They requested almost as much country music as they did other stuff. Artists like Shania Twain, the Dixie Chicks and Garth Brooks each received several requests, and as tracks like "Amazing," "Dust on the Bottle," "Chatahoochie," "Breathe," and "How Do I Live?" also went over HUGE. Now, I don't claim that the average young person likes all of the forms of music that I've listed. Many of the kids who love rap music probably hate swing or disco or whatever. Some of them might only truly enjoy one or two of the genres that I listed. But my point is that each one of those genres has a fanbase and an audience right now. However, there are young people out there who want to be unique, and they often cling to unpopular/untrendy/unhip fashions and music in order to do so. It may just be a matter of time before some of them latch on to "our" music in their attempt or their search for something "new." Incidently, I recently saw the latest video by The Bloodhound Gang. If my ears were working properly, they take a shot at Journey in the song saying something along the lines of "I might as well be listening to Journey" or something like that. I could be WAAAY wrong on that one, but that's what I thought I heard.

3) One last thing: Let's just say that "our" music does make a comeback. What then? IMO, one thing we can be certain of is that it'll never be as big as it was in the '80s. But let's say that it does come back in the same way that disco did, that swing did, etc. How long will its comeback last? Probably not long, given how fickle the young people are in terms of musical trends. And who's to say that when it crashes and burns, it's not gonna be in an even worse state than it is right now?

I do believe that AOR/MHR will make a comeback eventually. Pretty much every music trend imaginable has made a comeback at some time or another, and I do believe that AOR will have its day. There seems to be an approximately 20 year cycle. Back in the '80s, many people were digging fashions and music from the '60s (again, I'll list the Beatles, neon/psychadelic colors, flowers, peace signs, happy faces, the hippie movement, etc.). In the '90s, a number of trends from the '70s became big (remember the disco boom, or bellbottoms, or punk?). It's only a matter of time before people start taking an interest in the '80s. I am sure that within a few years big hair (with gallons of hairspray), designer jeans, and other such '80s throwbacks will surface as the current trend. And a part of me is looking forward to it. But I don't expect the "comeback" will be long-lived or that, in the end, it will do "our" music a whole lot of good. Sorry to be a pessimist, but it's what I believe. As much as I'd love to see AOR/MHR rise to glory and dominate the world once more, I'm not sure that in this day and age it's in the music's best interest for this to happen. Sorry if I've depressed anyone. Let's hope I'm wrong. Take care, all.
Don

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
MAKING ROCK BIG AGAIN!! 149 KAOS FAN 07/27/2000 12:45PM
RE: MAKING ROCK BIG AGAIN!! 109John Q07/27/2000 03:21PM
RE: MAKING ROCK BIG AGAIN!! 122Surfpunk07/28/2000 05:03AM
Lost me here 148 Rather Large Canine 07/28/2000 08:26AM
RE: Lost me here 114Surfpunk07/28/2000 08:52AM
RE: MAKING ROCK BIG AGAIN!! 133 Snake65 07/29/2000 01:26AM
RE: My thoughts on the topic...130 Don 07/29/2000 06:32AM
RE: My thoughts on the topic... 113Weird shit!!07/29/2000 12:15PM
RE: MAKING ROCK BIG AGAIN!! 152 C├ędric 07/29/2000 12:07AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.