RE: My thoughts on the two albums in question...
Posted by: Don ()
Date: July 27, 2000 01:52PM

Hi all,

Well, I've read all of the posts below, and I feel inclined to share my $0.02. Here goes:

First off, the notion of comparing the Corrs to the Crue strikes me as being quite a stretch, regardless of who produced what. It's true that they could probably both be considered AOR, but they're certainly at opposite ends of the spectrum. It'd be sorta like comparing Fleetwood Mac to Ted Nugent back in the '70s. The two acts probably did both win over some of the same fans, but there are definitely a large number of fans who would greatly prefer one over the other, depending on whether their musical taste leaned toward heavier or lighter music. Anyways, it's an interesting comparison to say the least.

Personally, my taste in music is extremely broad. These days, I listen to just about anything as a result of owning and operating a DJ service and needing to keep up with all kinds of music. I don't like it all, but I have at least learned to appreciate most music and while listening to an artist, I try to figure out what it is that draws people to him/her/them.

I have liked the Crue since I first heard "Shout At The Devil" back in the early to mid '80s. But I have never been what I'd consider a big fan. To me, they're a decent band, and worth listening to from time to time. But I don't consider them to be excellent or one of my favorites. Back in their heyday, when the were gracing the cover of every magazine on the newsrack, I was always more interested in "discovering" new, similar bands that I would prefer to the Motley Crues and the Ratts. I found them in bands such as Black 'n Blue, King Kobra, etc. Anyways, as I mowed the lawn yesterday (a 3 hour job!) I listened to the Crue album around three times. Then, while I worked in the basement, I gave it another spin. I must say that I was very pleasantly surprised. There are no songs that immediately grabbed me or struck me instantly as being classics. But the songwriting on the album did strike me as being very good: much better, in fact, than I had ever expected. It's definitely a return to their earlier, glam/arena rock sound. And after just a spin or two I've really grown to like tracks like "Hollywood Ending," "Fake" and "She Needs Rock and Roll." What's more, I can see myself adding another two or three or four tracks to that list after another listen or two. The bottom line is that I never in my wildest dreams expected the Crue to return to this sound or that I'd like this album as much as I do.

As for the Corrs, when I first heard (and saw the video for) "Runaway," these three sisters just about caused my heart to melt. Forget about how easy on the eyes they are (if that's possible), these girls can SING!!! Furthermore, you can call me crazy, and I don't know if it'd be considered an accent, but the way the pronounce their "w"s and the way the seem to pronounce a "w" in front of their "r"s just sounds so sweet and seductive!!! And they're certainly decent musicians as well. To claim otherwise because one doesn't like their style of music or musicianship is simply unfair and, IMO, totally inaccurate. They're just not the same KIND of musicians as Nikki Sixx and the boys. (Btw, I have always thought of Mick Mars as being a 3rd rate guitar player, at best, compared to many of the other guitar players from his era, but his playing on "New Tatoo" actually impressed me). They're three girls (women, I guess) who sing very well together, play a variety of instruments most of which you'd never hear in the Crue's music, and whose musical style just happens to be Celtic-influenced, harmony-driven pop music. "Forgiven, Not Forgotten" (their first album) is decent. "Talk on the Corners" was one of my fave albums of last year. In my books, it's pretty much a perfect pop album and I'd rate it somewhere around a 9.5 or a 10 of of 10. I liked the unplugged album a lot too, partly because it contained many of their coolest songs, and partly because I'm a sucker for that unplugged sound. The new one is also very good, and I'm sure it will continue to grow on me, but I don't think it'll ever impress me as much as "Talk on the Corners."

When all is said and done here's my final analysis: For anyone with an open mind, I'd recommend either or BOTH albums: ("New Tatoo" and "The Corrs in Blue"). IMO, they're both worthwhile, but in totally different styles and for totally different reasons.
Just my $0.02.
Don

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Motley Crue vs The Corrs!! 249Surfpunk07/25/2000 07:16AM
RE: Motley Crue vs The Corrs!! The shag factor 153John Q07/25/2000 09:08AM
RE: Motley Crue vs The Corrs!! CORRS SHOCKER 134 KAOS FAN 07/25/2000 05:37PM
The sales figures...... 149Jack07/25/2000 11:33PM
RE: Corrs 3 v Motley Crue 1 125 Kieran 07/26/2000 03:45AM
RE: Corrs 3 v Motley Crue 1 111Surfpunk07/26/2000 04:32AM
RE: Corrs 3 v Motley Crue 11 123 KAOS FAN 07/27/2000 12:12PM
Plot? What plot? 154Surfpunk07/28/2000 05:23AM
RE: Motley Crue vs The Corrs!! 168 Mrpool 07/26/2000 12:35AM
RE: Motley Crue vs The Corrs!! 129 Joe 07/26/2000 03:43AM
RE: Motley Crue vs The Corrs!! 110 Mrpool 07/26/2000 05:21AM
RE: Motley Crue vs The Corrs!! 133 Joe 07/26/2000 06:53AM
RE: Motley Crue vs The Corrs!! 127 Mrpool 07/26/2000 07:40AM
RE: Motley Crue vs The Corrs!! 100 John 07/27/2000 07:24AM
RE: Motley Crue vs The Corrs!! 129Preacherman07/27/2000 08:00AM
RE: My thoughts on the two albums in question...100 Don 07/27/2000 01:52PM
RE: My thoughts on the two albums in question... 103 sfk kurt 07/28/2000 01:08AM
RE: Thanks Kurt... 212 Don 07/28/2000 08:37AM
RE: Thanks Kurt... 119Peter M. Bietenholz07/28/2000 09:46PM
RE: Thanks Kurt... 111 sfk kurt 07/29/2000 10:23AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.