Bon Jovi's Crush
Posted by: Robert ()
Date: April 22, 2000 03:25AM

After listening to an advance copy of the new BJ CD, I thought I would pass along my thoughts on the songs. Trust me, I'm no music critic and I will leave the real reviews to Andrew. But, for those of you waiting on the edge of your seats for the latest offering from Jon and the guys, I figured I would let you know my humble opinion. I was led to believe that this would be more like Slippery When Wet and New Jersey. Nope. It is more like These days...An older, mature Bon Jovi.

"It's My Life"-We've all heard the soundbytes. Good opener, but not a very strong offering. Would have made for a good BSB track.
"Say It Isn't So"-You've heard this one too, I'm sure. Nothing special.
"Thank You For Loving Me"-This is a great ballad delivered the way only BJ can! Great vocal (big harmonies) and Richie's guitar is sounding perfect. Too bad he had to shine on a slower song instead of shredding on a rocker like the ol' days.
"Two Story Town"-A Mellancamp-ish mid-tempo song with a Sheryl Crow sounding intro. Not too far removed from These Days.
"Next 100 Years"-Tico's drums lead the way on this mid-tempo ballad. Jon's sounding better than ever. Good chorus. Like an upbeat This Ain't A Love Song.
"Just Older"-Another Mellancamp-type song. Great hook, as good as anything else so far. Could have been a track on Destination Anywhere.
"Mystery Train"-Forgettable more modern-sounding ballad.
"Save The World"-Bluesy ballad that starts with Richie's soaring guitar and David's fine keys. Jon's vocal here starts off soft and low then breaks big. Reminds me of Lie To Me from These Days.
"Captain Crash & The Beauty Queen From Mars"-That's a mouthful! And the song is a mouthful too. This is more like it...fast moving rocker with fun lyrics and a great hook. This is the Bon Jovi we love. Starts out a little like Something For The Pain but much more fun and light-hearted. Best track on the disc so far!
"She's a Mystery"-Another forgettable ballad. A far cry from the 80's power ballads that made this band famous.
"I Got the Girl"-Starts out soft and slow and then picks up at the chorus. Fun song, solid mid-tempo with good harmonies.
"One Wild Night"-Hard-hitting rocker. Closest thing to Slippery When Wet that you will find on this record. Not bad...shows the boys can still rock!

This is just a little insight into the album. Check it out on June 13th (in the U.S.) and judge it yourselves.

Robert

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Bon Jovi's Crush293 Robert 04/22/2000 03:25AM
It's My Life 275 Susumu 04/23/2000 12:56AM
RE: It's My Life 230 TRAVIS 04/23/2000 08:19AM
RE: It's My Life 220 Mike 04/23/2000 08:36AM
RE: Bon Jovi's Crush 193c dog04/24/2000 07:15PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.