Kings X - Live Review.
Posted by: Surfpunk ()
Date: July 09, 2000 06:39AM

Kings X are on tour in the UK right now and last night they played at Bradford Rio's
This is just a brief review to let you know that they played an incredible set last night to a small crowd of die hard fans.

They opened with 'Welcome to the Groove Machine', Jerry Gaskell lapping up the chants of "Jerry, Jerry" and posing for the photographer in front of us at every opportunity! Doug Pinnick seemed taller and skinnier than ever but exuded cool as he bantered with the crowd between songs. The set contained more material from the recent past than the first few albums. They played 4 from 'Tapehead', which came across far better live than on record. The more groove oriented sound contrasting with that of the other songs. From 'Ear candy' we got 'Someday', 'The Train' and a totally rocking 'Looking For Love'. Throughout the devoted crowd sang along passionately to every word (except the new songs) but on 'Goldilox' it was a true joy to behold. Doug quickly saw what was going to happen and stepped back from the mic, turned down his volume and conducted from the edge of the stage. A magical moment, but better was to come!

Despite the fact that new album, 'Please Come Home...Mr. Bulbous', is not released in this country until next Monday, the band played 4 (I think!) songs from it. To these ears they already sound better than the 'Tapehead' stuff but I've only played the album through once so I'd better reserve judgement. However the harmonies are back and the songs appear to have those riffs that twist and turn back on themselves again, especially 'Marshmallow Fields' with it's obvious Beatles influence.The set proper finished with 'We Born To Be Loved', the first song all night from 'Faith, Hope Love'. Then it was encore time!

By this point the crowd was in raptures but as the band tore into 'Over My Head' they just went wild. The middle section got the crowd singing again, "Music, music, I hear music", Doug again conducting from the front. The best was though that, even after the band departed the stage again, the crowd (and me!) kept on singing, word perfect until the the band appeared again to end the set completely with a dynamic thrash through 'Moanjam'. Awesome!

The end result was a lot of smiling faces and the feeling that we'd just witnessed a very CURRENT sounding band at the peak of their career. Certainly not some old 80's act retreading old ground looking for former glory.

So, there you go. KINGS X, as good for you today as it's always been!
If anybody else went I'd love to hear what you thought.

Finally, The UK version of '...Mr. Bulbous' is released on Monday July 10th and includes a bonus disc containing the complete 'Then' video on CD-Rom. Enjoy!

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Kings X - Live Review.158Surfpunk07/09/2000 06:39AM
RE: Kings X - Live Review. 112 Silvermachine 07/10/2000 04:40AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.