Re: I did not write it!
Posted by: Doc K ()
Date: September 09, 2001 09:03AM

Perhaps one day, we'll awaken as a people and understand what the power of television is all about. Perhaps those with some modicum of intellect will be able to assess the power of persuasion and will understand how one group's agenda really CAN be mainstreamed to the masses. Perhaps one day, we'll stop looking to the television to raise our kids and formulate our opinion on important matters like morality and good taste.

I've rarely agreed with the Drudge Report over the years, but salute this article.

Our recent Presidential Election was a study in agendas. One could not turn on any news entity and get a true rendering of what the candidates were saying. Bush had his cronies and Gore his, as well. To those who were interested---and that's a decreasing number in our country--it was an awesome study as to how big money can impact popular opinion.

If that wasn't enough, the current winds of change initiated by MTV should make it clear to all open minded that something is afoot. The basic rap genre individuals like Peter so easily refer to is not the issue. Instead, mainstreaming grotesque images for our childrens' consumption as described in Drudge IS upsetting, even to 70's rock n rollers like myself. Ensuring that alternative life styles which incorporate images of gang bangers, women portrayed as nothing more than whores, a hedonistic lifestyle that espouses the love of booze and drugs and the ease of making money via guns and dealing become politically correct has been the issue where influence-peddlers like McGrath are concerned.

And apparently, it has worked.

Anyone out there raising a teen or two? Any teachers, cops or social workers out there?

That's what I resent most---being force-fed a political agenda...being forced to swallow someone's ideology. I constantly try to look at what videos and MTV's idols are trying to say to its target audience. I don't think I like the message.

Pete's correlations continue to echo what we've heard from people like the KKK--who neatly hide behind our 1st Amendment: "if you don't like the message, don't come to the rally". Unfortunately, MTV's agenda isn't being played to such a small audience.

At its outset, rap provided some notable people who really DID talk about the struggles in the ghetto. I listened to some of Public Enemy's lyrics. I heard what LL, Run DMC and others were saying. But we've strayed far from the idea of a new musical genre. Continually making a correlation to the Crue, Poison and Glam in general misses the point and really is, well, childish.

Sorry, Pete. I work in the ghetto. The words I hear in rap AREN'T real and AREN'T musically based. Open your ears, and take a trip to your local school once in a while. If you're particularly brave, come on down into city limits.

Then ask yourself why it is that you see what you see.

All of this is just my opinion. I listen to all a wide array of music and am open minded and always willing to recognize a talent, even if it's a style of music I don't particularly like.

But this is not music, and there is no talent evident.

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
MTV'S JUDY MCGRATH: WANTED FOR THE MURDER OF MUSIC 67 sfk kurt 09/08/2001 09:46AM
Re: MTV'S JUDY MCGRATH: WANTED FOR THE MURDER OF M 38 Erkka/Urban Tale 09/08/2001 10:11PM
I did not write it! 44 sfk kurt 09/09/2001 08:10AM
Re: I did not write it! 48 Erkka/Urban Tale 09/09/2001 08:20AM
Re: I did not write it!46Doc K09/09/2001 09:03AM
Re: I did not write it! 47Peter M. Bietenholz09/09/2001 08:18PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.