RE: reunion tours/Van Halen/Black Sab.
Posted by: F.O.R.D. ()
Date: July 07, 2000 03:27PM

Rob wrote:
-------------------------------
The problem I have with all of these reunion tours is that I hate these older bands getting back together in praise of how great they once were. If Sabbath can't put out an album full of new material with Ozzy, then they need to keep their asses parked at home. Same with VH and everybody else.

Van Halen WILL have a new album out before they ever begin their tour. The album is near completion now.

Rob wrote:

If these guys want to really get fans into it, they have to come up with some new stuff that is as good as the old stuff. The two new tracks on Sabbath's Reunion album suggests that they can't do it. And, honestly, I don't think VH can either.
---------------------------------

I didn't think the 2 Sabbath tracks on Reunion were their best either. But the 2 tracks Van Halen did in 1996 were better than anything done by Van Hagar or David Lee Roth solo in the previous 11 years. And I believe their new album will be every bit as good as those songs were.

Rob wrote:
The worst part of the reunion tour is that these older bands are as bored with the old material.... (snipped by the board)

There's a serious difference here between Sabbath and Van Halen. First, as was mentioned previously, Sabbath toured with very little new material and a set list that Ozzy and the various fake Sabbath's had each been playing every year for the last 20 years. Van Halen's classic catalog on the other hand has not been heard much live since their breakup in 1985. Van Hagar would only do 3 classic songs on a regular basis and on their last 2 tours threw in a few extra's. DLR also mixed a few of the classics in with his solo set. Only on their most recent tours did the VD III lineup attempt (badly) to play the classics with the wrong singer, while Dave attempted to give Van Halen fans the classic VH set they wanted, without Eddie along for the ride. This time they will do it right, AND have an album of new material along with it. Though I have nothing against Sabbath, I think there is a huge difference between their cash in nostalgia trip and what Van Halen is doing, which is restoring what was the greatest American rock band ever, not as a nostalgia act, but as a working band for 2000.

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
reunion tours/Van Halen/Black Sab. 167 Rob 07/06/2000 04:52PM
RE: reunion tours/Van Halen/Black Sab.86 F.O.R.D. 07/07/2000 03:27PM
RE: reunion tours/Van Halen/Black Sab. 215 Frank 07/07/2000 09:46PM
Frank is on the PIPE! 83 WISEatDLRND.com 07/08/2000 02:22PM
WISE is a putz.... 88 Frank 07/10/2000 10:36PM
Go back to your Winger board Frankie 125 F.O.R.D. 07/11/2000 04:47PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.