How does the music biz work?
Posted by: Layman ()
Date: August 27, 2001 03:19AM

Since many fine pro musicians and record label execs.also visit this board, I hope they will educate me and those of us who are unaware of the machinations and mechanics of the recording industry. I have many questions regarding this issue, so I will try to be as precise as I can be regarding the clarity of my questions.

Let's assume a "single" person gets signed to a "major" label. The person is the singer and a songwriter as well. What would an average (generalized) deal be like? Is the publishing deal considered to be different from his record deal?

The musicians hired to play on his album are also paid. Who cuts a deal with them? And do they continue to get royalties from the future sales of the album they played on? Or is it a one time deal only paying them for their session work and has nothing to do with the album sales?

Does the record label hire the studio and the producer? What exactly does a producer do? How can you differentiate between a slick production and a low budget production? Does the producer make any money from the subsequent sales of the album he worked on?

A single goes to the radio and gets airplay. A commercial sigle is released as well. Does the contributing songwriter(other than the performer) make money from the subsequent sales of the single?

The artist decides to cover a song on his album. If the cover is released as a single, do the original performers and songwriters make any money off it? If the cover is not released as a single but is included on the album nonetheless, do the original songwriters/performers make any money off it?

The performer now goes on tour. He hires a band and takes care of everything else. He performs a concert and the gate for that concert is say 100,000 $. What percentage goes to the venue? How much does the promoter get? How much does the record company make? And how much is the performer left with?

How many albums an act needs to sell before it can actually become rich? So in the end is it safe to assume that members of huge acts like Bon Jovi, U2 etc. are about 20-30 Million $ richer after every album and tour?

I will appreciate if you fine folks clear this up for me.
Thank you.

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
How does the music biz work?61Layman08/27/2001 03:19AM
Re: How does the music biz work? 49 Eric Abrahamsen 08/27/2001 04:24AM
explain rap then 56 sfk kurt 08/27/2001 05:33AM
That's your perspective .. 51 Misterpomp 08/27/2001 05:52AM
Re: Good Point. 56 Eric Abrahamsen 08/27/2001 06:07AM
Re: explain rap then 46 Eric Abrahamsen 08/27/2001 05:53AM
Two words, kurt: PIMPIN' HOs 48 koogles 08/27/2001 06:10AM
Re: the music biz 63John Q08/27/2001 05:36AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.