We Wuz There - Danny Danzi Live in NJ
Posted by: R.C.I.T. ()
Date: August 21, 2001 12:22AM

I just had to come on over to let you all know we had us one fine evening of rock on Saturday night! Le Rocker Chic and I plus another friend were lucky enough to witness Danny Danzi live, in action. I guess they felt they needed a warm up gig before heading to England, and boy were we glad they decided that! Although from the sound of things they’re more than ready to go, but I’m not complaining, I got good music out of it.

Warm up, indeed… this little place was about a million degrees once we all started rockin’, but hey, you gotta suffer for your art, right? It was a 2 hour drive each way for us but worth every penny of gas. But we’re pikers in that respect… we also got to meet Michelle and Karen who both came from much further away than we did – great meeting you guys.

Let’s see – and this is from memory and not in order so it may not be right – Danny played:

Lost Without Your Love
Love Me or Leave Me
Is Love a Lie
Somewhere Lost in Time
Dreams
Pop
All The Time
Save Us

Plus 2 new tunes, the names of which escape me. I recall really liking both but if you pushed me to choose I liked the second one he played better.

Danny and the rest of the band sounded great. Danny sure had that whole ‘rock star’ thing going on while playing… even if his shiny plastic pants were falling down on him from sweating so much ;-). I recall reading a discussion about how people want their musicians to be a little larger than life on stage – Danny, you and yours have it down just right. Not unapproachable, not haughty, but you get a show when you see them. Entertainment value for the dollar folks, that’s what it’s all about. Best $5 I’ve spent in a long time.

Oh, and let’s not forget the encore. They did “Come to Me” and segued right into my absolute favorite song by my absolute favorite band of all time – Styx’s “Renegade”. Yeah Danny, the screaming you heard when you started that one was us <g>. They did a fine, fine job with it, really great.

I have a story I’d like to share with everyone here - and Danny, I think you’ll get a kick out of it. I work in Manhattan and Friday after work I was going downtown to meet some friends for dinner in Soho. I had “SLIT” in the cd player on the subway and I’m walking down Broadway just humming along. All of a sudden I can’t walk past because the entire width of the sidewalk is blocked by 4 Hari Krishna’s doing their thing. They had the shaved heads, the little finger symbols, the long tunics and pants, the whole deal. Now there they are, dancing and singing and playing their tambourines and little drums but you see I can’t hear them because I have “Lost Without Your Love” blasting… so what I see is them dancing about to that song. I make my way past them but I’m just dumbstruck by the image of them dancing to this song… major cognitive dissonance going on here. I just couldn’t get it out of my head. I am SO glad you played that song Saturday, Danny. You gave me a new image to associate it with other than the dancing Krishna’s (hey, The Dancing Krishna’s, what a great name for a band…)

Danny & everyone else in the band - thanks for a great evening of music. It was terrific meeting all of you – hey you guys over there in England, take good care of them for us! Treat ‘em nice or else ;-) And let’s not let too much time go by until we get treated to this again… as Barb says, “if you play it we will come”.

On another totally different note, I’m all depressed that The Sign is playing on LI Sept 28 – the night I have tickets to see Styx. I’ve seen Styx a bunch of times, I’ve never seen The Sign (although I’ve seen Zebra a lot too). Here’s hoping they play another gig on a night I can make it. Oh, and if anyone from the Vaughn camp is reading… you guys need to do another L’Amour show, fellas!

Brandy

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
We Wuz There - Danny Danzi Live in NJ52 R.C.I.T. 08/21/2001 12:22AM
Re: We Wuz There - Danny Danzi Live in NJ 48 Rocker Chic 08/21/2001 01:34AM
Re: We Wuz There - Danny Danzi Live in NJ 44 R.C.I.T. 08/21/2001 01:47AM
Re: We Wuz There - Danny Danzi Live in NJ 45 PhotoBarb 08/22/2001 01:23PM
Re: We Wuz There - Danny Danzi Live in NJ 42 Danny Danzi 08/21/2001 10:12AM
Re: We Wuz There - Danny Danzi Live in NJ 43 R.C.I.T. 08/21/2001 11:19PM
Hey Danny - Album sleeve dilemma solved!! 38Surfpunk08/22/2001 03:39AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.