Re: A Criminally Under-rated & Ignored Band
Posted by: Angus ()
Date: August 21, 2001 02:51AM

Babylon A.D. were one of those bands that had a chance to break through in America during the late 80's but got sucked under the wagon by inept record company work. Arista signed them in hopes of cashing in on the pop metal fad, but being a mostly R&B/Dance oriented label they didn't really know how to go about marketing the band. That is pretty much why you've never heard of them. They got into the game too late (1990) and didn't have the right push behind them.

As for their actual work, the s/t debut is a pretty hot little slice of sleaze metal. A dirtier Bon Jovi if you will. The got some decent radio airplay thanks to the ballad "Desperate", which I might add is one of the better ballads of the era, easily blowing away alot of the one that were hits (Motley Crue's terrible "Without You" comes to mind). It was actually covered by Baton Rouge on their "Lights Out On The Playground" record (the song was co-written by B.A.D. singer Derek Davis and Jack Ponti, who produced for Baton Rouge). Having both, I gotta say the B.A.D. version is far superior. Davis's vocals are very gritty and empassioned on their version. I love Kelly Keeling, but Davis outshined him this time. Also of note is the fact that the track "The Kid Goes Wild" from the debut B.A.D. album also features a guest rant from Sam Kinison. Again, it shows that Arista had some big plans for the band but just didn't know how to capitalize.

By the time Nothing Sacred appeared in 1992 the hard rock phase in America was on it's last legs so the album went nowhere and Arista decided to stick with what they new (namely Whitney Houston and Toni Braxton). Again a track was covered later on though, as "Psychedelic Sex Reaction" would also appear on the Randy Jackson's China Rain album Bed Of Nails. The song was composed by Davis/Jackson/Ponti and Vic Pepe (although Davis is not credited on the China Rain version for some reason).

To the best of my knowledge neither album charted in the U.S. I recall "Desperate" getting some radio airplay in the summer of 1991, but you had to hunt around to find the album by then. I don't know anything about their recent comebacks attempts other than to say everything I *have* read has been pretty negative. Their early 90's album were above average for the genre as they really had a lot of gritty edge to them, without sounding as sloppy as say a Guns N' Roses type. Again, had they popped up about three years earlier they have been big.

-Later, Angus
NP: TNT - Tell No Tales

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
A Criminally Under-rated & Ignored Band 68Coach T08/20/2001 02:47AM
Re: A Criminally Under-rated & Ignored Band 45Francesco08/20/2001 02:55AM
Re: A Criminally Under-rated & Ignored Band 43 britny 08/20/2001 05:18AM
Re: A Criminally Under-rated & Ignored Band 43 Brian 08/20/2001 05:45AM
Re: A Criminally Under-rated & Ignored Band 41 Carl 08/20/2001 10:39AM
Re: A Criminally Under-rated & Ignored Band44 Angus 08/21/2001 02:51AM
Re: A Criminally Under-rated & Ignored Band 40Bighairnolonger08/22/2001 04:10AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.