OK, about Sabbath...
Posted by: John Q ()
Date: July 04, 2000 10:52AM

Susumu, I was aware Sabbath was never huge in Japan, but you as a 35-year old not knowing beans about them still shocks me.

Anyway, yes, Sab are/were contemporaries of Zep, Purple, Heep, etc. - in fact, their first s/t album is universally acknowledged as the first real heavy metal album. The original line-up with Ozzy, Iommi, Butler, and Ward recorded between '69 and '78 before Ozzy split to form his own band. After that the line-up changed constantly. Ronnie James Dio joined after Ozzy left and the result was the stellar 'Heaven & Hell', followed by the awesome 'Mob Rules' (Vinnie Appice replaced Bill Ward), both of which you MUST own if you like metal even a tiny little bit. Dio then had a falling out with the band over the mix of their 'Live Evil' album and subsequently left to form his own band with Appice, Jimmy Bain and Vivian Campbell (you are aware of 'Holy Diver', right?).

Ian Gillan from Deep Purple (then fronting his own band, Gillan) stepped in for RJ and Sabbath recorded 'Born Again', one of their darkest albums ever. The album pretty much flopped and the union did not last long. The band pretty much broke up and Tony Iommi assembled a completely new band for what was supposed to be a solo album, 'Seventh Star' (with Glenn Hughes on vocals). Only the record company wanted it to be a BS album and they got their way. Glenn did not stay for long though - enter Ray Gillen (R.I.P.) who they toured with in Europe and cut demos for what was to become the 'Eternal Idol' album. Ray got into it with their producer though and left to join Blue Murder and eventually Badlands. Tony Martin took Ray's place and recorded 'Eternal Idol' (godly album - great melodic metal!), 'Headless Cross', and 'Tyr', none of which made a dent in the US but did well enough in Europe.

Next up was a shortlived reunion of the 'Mob Rules' line-up with Dio and Appice, which resulted in 'Dehumanizer'. The whole thing fell apart again half way through the tour because they all hated each other anyway and did it for the money only. Iommi got back with Tony Martin and recorded 'Cross Purposes' and another album that is so forgettable I'm forgetting the title right now...

After that, all the greedy managers involved got their shit together an worked out a big bucks reunion of the original Black Sabbath - Ozzy, Tony, Geezer, and Bill Ward (who had to be replaced on tour by Vinnie Appice in Europe after suffering a mild heart attack). The 2 shows at the NEC in Birmingham were recorded for the 'Reunion' live album, which also featured 2 brand new studio tracks. Another (farewell) tour followed and the band are supposed to be retired for good now. But only 2 weekends ago they did a mini surprise set and Ozzy is already yapping about a new studio album (which hopefully will never happen) because there's still a ton of money to be made off the name Black Sabbath.

So that's Sabbath for ya in a nutshell. I don't think you'd enjoy the early stuff with Ozzy too much - it's not very melodic. Doom and gloom all the way. But you MUST get both 'Heaven & Hell' and 'Mob Rules' as well as 'Eternal Idol', and if you're a Glenn Hughes fan, 'Seventh Star' (a second album with Glenn and Iommi is in the can but won't be released for now).

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Black Sabbath 170 Susumu 07/03/2000 08:24AM
R U SERIOUS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! 105John Q07/03/2000 12:21PM
RE: R U SERIOUS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! 101 Susumu 07/04/2000 08:09AM
OK, about Sabbath...129John Q07/04/2000 10:52AM
RE: OK, about Sabbath... 118 F.O.R.D. 07/04/2000 05:57PM
RE: OK, about Sabbath... 118John Q07/05/2000 05:47AM
RE: OK, about Sabbath... 101 Rob 07/05/2000 11:07AM
RE: OK, about Sabbath... 112Steve, Denmark07/06/2000 05:04AM
RE: OK, about Sabbath... 111 F.O.R.D. 07/06/2000 10:58AM
Sabbath timeline & VH 102John Q07/06/2000 01:18PM
RE: Sabbath timeline & VH 109 Maciej 07/06/2000 08:15PM
My recommendation 116 Rob 07/05/2000 04:10AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.