RE: Newsflash: VH1 abandons rock!
Posted by: Surfpunk ()
Date: July 02, 2000 07:58PM

I'm not surprised by this. It just seems to be in keeping with the total lack of interest in serving music buyers in the 30 something and beyond catchment.

To give you an example of just how crazy things have got here in the UK, Radio 1,
the countries biggest radio station, recently refused to add the new Kylie Minogue single to their playlist! Apparently this had nothing to do with the song, just the fact that her 'appeal' is to an audience that lies beyond their demographic, of 15-24 year olds. The single went on to become the UK Number 1! Which just proves how out of touch the station is with the music buying public here. Fortunately Independent Local Radio, similar to what you have in the States, has a more rounded policy and that primarily helped the single get the airplay it required to achieve this.

The point is, if Kylie can't get on the radio over here Journey might as well forget it!
Something I posted on the 'Ask Journey' part of their website a while ago was this issue and how to get round it in the UK.

As for VH-1, I never watched it anyway, and MTV is just so far up it's own ass I can't stand that either. So, who is going to break this trend? Who is going to be brave enough to set up a source for people to hear/see music for people who don't fit into a 'yoof' demographic but arn't 'old'? I believe it's one of the reasons for the decline in music sales today in the UK. There's a whole group of working people with expendable income not being catered for and no one seems to have noticed including the record companies.

And that's why melodic rock, as we knew it, will never be huge again.

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Newsflash: VH1 abandons rock! 188 Jack 07/02/2000 03:02PM
RE: Newsflash: VH1 abandons rock!108Surfpunk07/02/2000 07:58PM
RE: Newsflash: VH1 abandons rock! 124Dave07/02/2000 09:32PM
RE: Newsflash: VH1 abandons rock! 118 zacman 07/02/2000 10:56PM
RE: Newsflash: VH1 abandons rock! 134Preacherman07/03/2000 01:19AM
RE: Newsflash: VH1 abandons rock! 115 John II 07/04/2000 03:26AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.