Here's the sitcho....
Posted by: Jack ()
Date: July 01, 2000 05:39PM

Hey Kieran,

A few answers for you, to the best of my limited knowledge about the situation....

The official line is that Darren left amicably because he wanted more time to spend on his own band (named Juice, I think?). If you read between the lines, why would you leave for your own band if you were musically fulfilled in your own band, which already has achieved a certain degree of fame?

As for Harry, Andrew actually spoke to him after there was a rumour going round that HS might return. Harry dismissed the possibility out of hand - it ain't going to happen. He says he's very happy with Rubber and that they're having lots & lots of success with the single getting lots of spins on radio and the video on some good position on MuchMusic (?). I haven't heard a single thing about Rubber outside the traditional AOR circles which insist on paying attention to it, which is totally okay since many dig it, I'm just not interested on a personal level. And I do watch some Much Music sometimes (for those of you who may not know, it's the Canadian version of MTV) and have yet to see anyone so much as mention them.

It seems from interviews and such that Harry does indeed know the feelings of the fans, but he feels that this direction is more fulfilling and is finding much more success. He apparently believes the genre is clich├ęd (and indeed, much of it is - but not Harem Scarem, which is precisely why they shouldn't have strayed!) and has no future. It bores him.

I think that his changing doesn't undermine his credibility. It's his choice and his prerogative because he's the one making the songs and the results will directly affect his career. I don't agree with him, but he does have the right even if it was just some strange whim. And I have the right to not support him one inch, though. If I don't like what he's doing there is no longer any reason to give him my money. Pretty straightforward - you want a new audience? Then go find it. As for this so-called great success Rubber is having, Harry must forgive me if I remain incredulous.

But like I said in the other post below, what does tear at the band's credibility is pleading ignorance about the fleecing of the fans. In fact, to say it's ignorance is innacurate, because they know it only too well. Stefan from www.aor.nu asked Harry about this, and Harry was pretty casual about it - he basically implied that although the situation with the deluge of releases with all sorts of tracks and versions here and there wasn't ideal, but that it wasn't a real problem to him and he really didn't have anything to do with it, and won't even give it a second thought.

So there it is!

Cheers,
Jack.

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Andrew , can you please read 170 Kieran 06/30/2000 08:08AM
RE: Andrew , can you please read 117 Chris Pope 06/30/2000 03:41PM
OK... 129 Andrew 07/01/2000 05:26PM
Here's the sitcho....111 Jack 07/01/2000 05:39PM
RE: Here's the sitcho.... 123 Kieran 07/01/2000 09:28PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.