Re: The future of the live scene ........
Date: August 03, 2001 03:46AM

Hello everybody!

You´re right on the point, Mark! The live scene has to be woken up. I think that there are a lot of "studio projects" in the melodic rock/aor scene. These bands will never play shows, even though they may sell albums. This causes a problem to the real bands who are interested in playing shows and touring.

I was really happy to read about the Ten/Bob Catley joint tour and how succesful it was. We need more of these courageous artists that are willing to take some risks! In general, bands in this genre should stop worrying about making big profit on tour and concentrate in getting the audience to the shows. I think that joint tours of two or three bands co-headlining would be a great idea. That would give the audience a chance to witness more bands and get them interested in buying some cds.

The heavy metal scene has a lot healthier live scene, and it´s simply because these bands are more willing to tour and play live, even in small venues. Needless to say, they have very loyal fans and they sell albums.

During the old days when melodic rock was really big, the bands did large tours in order to support album sales. In most cases, the tours did not bring in any mentionable profit. The profit came with the increased album sales, and it wasn´t unusual to see 4 to 5 bands on the same bill. Sadly, the booking agencies and record labels aren´t too willing to promote and support these kind of things anymore, they want to minimize risks and maximize profit!

On the other hand, I´m very happy that festivals such as GODS and Z ROCK still exist. They give the fans a chance to see and even meet the bands live. I think that the success of GODS should give everyone a little hint that the live scene is needed and vital to this music.

Kindest regards, SEE YA AT THE GODS 2001!
Erkka Korhonen, guitarist, URBAN TALE

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
The future of the live scene ........ 56 Mark Alger 08/02/2001 06:09PM
Re: The future of the live scene ........48 Erkka Korhonen/Urban Tale 08/03/2001 03:46AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.