What a herd of picky bastards we are.
Posted by: The Other Joe ()
Date: July 24, 2001 04:30AM

Boy, reading that overrated thread gives me a headache.

Talk about some seriously bad Karma (no pun intended).

Why would any sane person look at this board as a target market? @!#$ us, I'd say. We look like a bunch of uptight pricks who hate everything. Maybe, we are.

There sure are a lot of strong negative opinions, even from me.

Yeah, I said that Kiss is overrated, but I grant that people can like them without me having to get all worked up and saying that they suck anymore.

I mean, one man's garbage is another man's Starcastle. Once you narrow down the collection of fans of any band into a small enough and vocal enough crowd, everything becomes overrated. If you read my review of The Quest - Change and then listen to the disc, you'd tell me it was overrated. My opinion of it wouldn't change because of your's, but your's may be influenced by mine. I'd even grant that my rating of the disc is overrated from a purely objective view, but what's the point of objectivity about music?

How many Aviary listeners will call the disc overrated because of the opinion or liner notes of one guy? Seems to me that a dictionary definition of overrated would imply an equally large mass of people on both sides of like. Three hundred AOR fans praising the glory of Signal or Diving For Pearls doesn't amount to overrated. It amounts to enthusiasm for a lesser-known work. At one time, that was considered a positive. Now we demand some kind of mental refund for not having the same reaction - even though we [should] know better.

I guess AOR can now stand for All Overrated Rock, eh?

Does anybody like AOR stuff?

I like Journey, Foreigner, Boston, and Styx even if they are overrated. They're still good.

I like Aviary, Balance, Franke and the Knockouts, and Roadmaster even if they are underrated. They're still good.

Not looking to impress everyone with my high standards, just looking for what moves me. Even crap can be enjoyable sometimes.

Joe

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
What a herd of picky bastards we are.70 The Other Joe 07/24/2001 04:30AM
all overrated rock! classic! 48 sfk kurt 07/24/2001 05:14AM
Re: I agree/Kiss/more... 41 Don 07/24/2001 05:21AM
Re: What a herd of picky bastards we are. 53 Misterpomp 07/24/2001 07:51AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.