Loudness/Distortion
Posted by: Figge ()
Date: July 27, 2007 02:03AM

Why is just about every album coming out mastered so loud?

I've mentioned this here a from time to time. So many of the albums coming out nowadays is just tireing and fatigueing to listen to. You get tired and almost exhausted from listening to the music for too long. Why is that? It never happened when I was young. I still think many of those albums I listened to when I was younger sounds better than they do today....It shouldn't be like this.

Many of the late 70's albums and earlier 80's stuff are very clear and dynamic. Everything on them are audible and very pleasent to listen to.

Nowadays everything is mastered so god damn loud, with "clipping" already from the first mastered product. It's not made for the human hearing.

It's more obvious now than ever with my new sound system. The brand new stuff are way too loud and I almost get uncomfortable after awhile. Everything is just a wall of sounds, compressed to the maximum. While my old stuff sounds much better and the sound "breathes" in a way I really miss on the new stuff.

Try and put some new songs into Cooledit or Sound FOrge and look at the peakes. Older cd's or vinyls are peakes and points everywhere (almost like a barb-wire), when something new like Red Hot Chilipeppers (one of the worst exemples) are just one total mess - almost like a log with no real thorns or spikes (without the highs and lows of the older stuff). It's all about dynamics.

This not only get quite annoying when listening to it for a while, it's also very annoying that much of the information is lost in clipping. Also the fact that just about every album has a different volume level (which could be fixed with MP3 Gain when using mp3's of course).

Well, well.....a problem I'll have to get used to I guess.

Figge

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Loudness/Distortion144 Figge 07/27/2007 02:03AM
Re: Loudness/Distortion 58 Steve Newman 07/27/2007 02:26AM
Re: Loudness/Distortion 54 Ted Poley 07/27/2007 03:07AM
Re: Loudness/Distortion 55 Figge 07/27/2007 03:39AM
Re: Loudness/Distortion 45 petenewdeck 07/27/2007 08:14AM
Re: Loudness/Distortion 64 Figge 07/27/2007 08:56AM
Re: Loudness/Distortion 51 Nick 07/27/2007 08:52PM
Re: Loudness/Distortion 109 Ted Poley 07/27/2007 10:48PM
Re: Loudness/Distortion 54 Figge 07/27/2007 11:29PM
Re: Loudness/Distortion 59 Gerhard Pichler 07/28/2007 03:30AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.