Re: Fascinating article/Here's more...
Posted by: Don ()
Date: July 16, 2001 05:17PM

John Q wrote:

> I think that...

> 1) Cameron Diaz is even more awesome than she already is for
> worshipping Dio-era Sabbath. The girl has taste (which is
> somewhat negated by her love for Poison...). Maybe Dio or
> Iommi need to dig in their T-shirt vaults, too.

...Yeah, who woulda thunk it, eh? Makes me wonder how many other celebrities out there consider their love for "our" music to be one of their "guilty pleasures." As for your Poison comment, well, let me say this: I do not consider myself to be a huge fan of the band or anything. But I do spin some of their albums from time to time, and when I do, I enjoy them. I don't care if those four guys lack the talent that some of the other '80s acts did. I don't care if they took the 'Revlon Factor' to the furthest possible extreme. For me, the bottom line and the only relevant factor is that they created some d@mned catchy (h*ll, downright infectious) songs. Call 'em the lowest common denominator or whatever you want, but I enjoy their music from time to time in the same way that I sometimes enjoy a chowing down on a McChicken and large fries.

Here's what the article had to say about Poison: "Metal Shop's Michael Diamond is the spitting image of Bret Michaels of Poison, the group his band cites as the 'foxiest' of the '80s metal acts. For casual metalheads, Poison define the glammest aspects of the poodle-rock genre: They had the best dumb songs and looked the most like hookers (or at least gypsies)...They might also be the most maligned rock band of the past 20 years (Hootie and the Blowfish included)."

And heres an interesting number: Apparently, (according to SoundScan) last year Poison's Greatest Hits album sold 243 000 copies. Nirvana's "Nevermind," which is considered to be an all-time classic, sold 238 000 copies. I realize that this doesn't prove much, but I guess it does suggest that there are quite a few people out there who are still very much enjoying their so-called "guilty pleasures" (a notion which, as I've posted on here before, I don't buy into).

> 2) Only a clueless moron would count 'Blizzard Of Ozz' as
> 'pop/hair metal'. 'The Ultimate Sin' would qualify even
> though no Ozzy album deserves to be mentioned in the same
> sentence as Poison, Vinnie Vincent, Faster Pussycat et al.

...Yeah, I also considered this album to be WAAAAYYYYY out of place. Stylistically and in every other way, it just doesn't fit in. And an aside here as well: Ya know, I own that Vinnie Vincent album (in LP format), but I don't think I've played it since sometime back in the '80s. I'm just curious enough now to dig it out, dust it off, and give it a spin.

> 3) It's only natural that many newer bands admit to liking
> 80's (pop) metal since those musicians were of MTV-watching
> age when hair ruled the airwaves. Plus so much time has
> passed now that the nostalgia factor is starting to set in.
> Even big cheese is all of a sudden remembered fondly, hence
> the Danger Kitty commercial and Sum 41's video.

...Yeah, I've posted on here about that, as well. The way I see it, it's simply inevitable: Within the next 5 years or so (possibly/probably less), there has to be an '80s retro movement. As for newer bands liking hair metal, I think I raised that issue on here a few weeks ago in a lengthy, rambling post that wasn't responded to. One of the points that I made was that, because it's always cool to search out stuff that's 'unhip' (partly in an attempt to be the first to start a new movement, and partly in an attempt to be unique/bold/etc.), there has absolutely GOT to be a faction of young people out there (musicians included) who are gonna get into '80s rock music. And in the same way that I couldn't believe that disco made a comeback, there are gonna be those out there who cannot believe it when '80s pop-metal/MHR/AOR/etc. returns. For me, the real questions and issues are as follows:

-How long is it gonna remain popular? Young people today are more fickle than ever when it comes to trends in music and fashion. IMO, today, trends are more short-lived than they've ever been before.

-What happens when the '80s retro/MHR comeback ends. Does 'our' music go even further underground? In the end, will such a movement do more harm than good?

With regards to the new bands, I don't know what to say at this point that I haven't already said on this board a gazillion times. I cannot - for the l life of me - see how any fan of '80s pop-rock or pop-metal bands in the vein of Poison could possibly not find something to like on an album like the American HiFi one. It's just straightforward rock music with melody and an edge. Call it power-pop or nu-breed or modern pop-metal or whatever. In the end, it ain't complicated, but it's infecious and it's fun/enjoyable in its simplicity. If it came with different sleeve photos (ie., if the band had bigger hair) and it had '1987' or '1991' stamped on it rather than 2001, many of this board's posters would buy it and enjoy it.

Just my (rather opinionated) $0.02
Don

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Fascinating article on the current state of our mu 66 Don 07/16/2001 10:33AM
Re: Fascinating article on the current state of ou 53 Mike Matney 07/16/2001 11:42AM
Re: Fascinating article on the current state of ou 47 Dan 07/16/2001 12:27PM
Re: Well, Dan... 48 Don 07/16/2001 05:28PM
Re: Fascinating article 51John Q07/16/2001 01:11PM
Re: Fascinating article 56Peter M. Bietenholz07/16/2001 04:43PM
Re: Fascinating article/Here's more...42 Don 07/16/2001 05:17PM
I must say Blender is better than OK for a mag 43 sfk kurt 07/17/2001 07:47AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.