Fascinating article on the current state of our mu
Posted by: Don ()
Date: July 16, 2001 10:33AM

Hi all,

As part of my music obsession, I find that I enjoy reading everything I can get my hands on about “our” music scene. Consequently, I buy a lot of music magazines. Well, I just read what I consider to be an extremely interesting article on “Hair Metal” in the premier issue of Blender magazine. Blender is a music magazine which is a spin-off from Maxim magazine. I’ll try not to re-write the entire article but here’s a re-cap of some of the more interesting points and quotes:

-There’s a place on L.A.’s Sunset Strip called the Viper Room where, apparently, all kinds of trendy young folk line up on a nightly basis to hear Metal Shop (a.k.a. Danger Kitty from the Discovery Card commercial) play their sets of cover songs of ‘80s acts like Whitesnake, Van Halen, Ratt, Warrant, etc. Here’s an interesting quote: “‘I initially thought this kind of show would be a really cool thing for lesbians,’ says Viper Room impresario Sal Jenco, referring to the Monday night glamathon he’s dubbed Camaro. ‘We’d have wet T-shirt contests and play ‘80s metal, and I thought it would be a cheesy, tongue-in-cheek, underground sensation for the ladies. But it just became this ultra-mainstream event overnight.’”

-Here’s another quote regarding the Viper Room:
“Midway through the evening, Metal Shop rip into Ratt’s 1984 rallying cry ‘Round and Round.’ People waiting for $7 drinks rush back to the overcrowded floor and make little devil signs. The reaction was the same before a recent Weezer show in New York – hundreds of fresh-faced kids suddenly wanted the right to rock.”

-There’s also some discussion about nu-breeders American HiFi, who, the writer has dubbed as a power pop band. They talk about the band’s love and respect for hair metal and obsession with collecting hair metal t-shirts.

-The article mentions Rock Star, the new motion picture (whose working title was Metal Gods) featuring Mark Wahlberg and Jennifer Aniston. You know, the film loosely based around the story of Tim “Ripper” Owens “ascension from a Judas Priest tribute band to the real thing.”

-It mentions The Donnas, who it describes as “a gum-snapping girl-punk band from California.” The comment is that they “pose like Kiss and cover Motley Crue’s ‘Too Fast For Love’ and Judas Priest’s ‘Living After Midnight.’”

-The article also makes the connection between Mutt Lange, Def Leppard, and Shania Twain. The comment is that “Big-haired country star Shania Twain…puts on a show that’s closer to Poison than George Strait.”

-The success of Poison’s annual summer multi-act tour is also discussed.

-According to the article, Cameron Diaz stated in an interview that her favorite bands are Poison and Dio-era Black Sabbath. Apparently, Poison sent her a vintage t-shirt, at her request, so that she could wear it in her next movie.

-Also interesting is the way in which they close the article: with a list of “The 10 Greatest Pop-Metal Albums of the ‘80s,” along with a very brief description and/or explanation of the inclusion each album The list looks like this:
1) Guns n’ Roses – Appetite For Destruction
2) Motley Crue – Too Fast For Love
3) Ozzy Osbourne – Blizzard of Oz
4) G n’ R – Gn’R Lies
5) Def Leppard – Pyromania
6) Vinnie Vincent Invasion – s/t
7) Faster Pussycat – s/t
8) Poison – Open Up and Say Ahh!
9) Cinderella – Long Cold Winter
10) Skid Row – s/t

The gist of the article is that, despite all of the attempts to kill “Hair Metal,” it’s survived. Here’s another quote: “Perhaps Ratt lead singer Stephen Pearcy was right: What comes around goes around. Hair metal – the sex-and-drugs-and-sex-obsessed spawn of glam and heavy metal that dominated the 1980s and made suburban pinups of Guns n’ Roses, Motley Crue, Poison, and dozens more – has somehow survived. And it’s leaving lip-gloss traces all over twenty-first century pop culture.”

So, whatdy’all think?
Don

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Fascinating article on the current state of our mu79 Don 07/16/2001 10:33AM
Re: Fascinating article on the current state of ou 62 Mike Matney 07/16/2001 11:42AM
Re: Fascinating article on the current state of ou 56 Dan 07/16/2001 12:27PM
Re: Well, Dan... 62 Don 07/16/2001 05:28PM
Re: Fascinating article 58John Q07/16/2001 01:11PM
Re: Fascinating article 69Peter M. Bietenholz07/16/2001 04:43PM
Re: Fascinating article/Here's more... 48 Don 07/16/2001 05:17PM
I must say Blender is better than OK for a mag 54 sfk kurt 07/17/2001 07:47AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.