...to-oneself-enough-ness NO more...
Posted by: Geir ()
Date: July 16, 2001 08:11AM

<you seem to be delving into Norwegian stuff very deep at the minute .. anything good ...>

from the pomp perspective? ...uhm, no, not really ... my reason for playing (and mentioning) several obscure titles during my last few posts, is simply that a good friend of mine recently found a bunch of mid-to-late '80s vinyl singles while cleaning house ... all independent label stuff, with somewhat debatable production, performances and songwriting ... not all bad, but also perhaps not unsurprisingly confined to obscurity ... ??? ;-)

...a good chance that reviews or mentions of the bands and possibly soundbytes may turn up on www.rockofnorway.com sometime in the coming months, though...

...hmm, wait a minute, Stephen ... Vagabond ... I'm still not a convert, but the "Key to the Rainbow" CD single features a non-album track, "Healing" ... absolutely brilliant on full blast ... somewhat straightforward for Vagabond, actually ... but with some lovely '70s synths and keyboard sounds ... then again, "Healing" was probably on the Japanese edition of the debut, so I guess you're up to speed on this?!??

...oh, and there is of course always Hoest ... I've mentioned them before ... two albums, '74 and '76, I think ... first one fairly proggy, the second (and better) album heading towards more of a hard rock, slight pomp style ... but both in the Norwegian native tongue, I'm afraid ... let me know if you're curious?

[Hoest partially reincarnated as Deja Vu in the late '70s ... one EP or album, I forget the title ... and this time with English lyrics ... apparently re-issued on CD in the mid-'90s, but I've yet to see it]

...Swedish hi-tech pop/rockers Fatal Attraction ("End of Regulation Time" ... late '80s) also hint surprisingly much toward late '70s pomp on a couple of tracks ... sparse guitar playing, but with keyboard and violin arrangements to boot ... the rest of the album is very much a sleeping pill, but for those 2-3 odd tracks, I suspect they must have been listening to "Clear Approach"-era Trillion ... and I'll actually risk the blasphemy charges and support my friend Terje in his observations for that one...

...word up... :-)

Geir

ps: did millennya and mozart reach you okay?

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Butler (Polygram, 1981) 132 Geir 07/15/2001 07:02PM
Re: Butler (Polygram, 1981) 96Pingu07/15/2001 07:26PM
Agree... 70 Misterpomp 07/16/2001 01:50AM
Fair enough... 67 Geir 07/16/2001 02:55AM
Re: Fair enough... 68 Misterpomp 07/16/2001 07:15AM
...to-oneself-enough-ness NO more...78 Geir 07/16/2001 08:11AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.