Re: Starcastle
Posted by: Eric Abrahamsen ()
Date: July 16, 2001 02:12AM

Sounds like you have issues? That's too bad. You seem to know a lot about the band (not), so let me set the record straight.

Starcastle's original deal was with Song Haus Music, but due to financial issues within the label and the band- the deal fell apart. No harm done- just a delay. During this time we began the search for a label that would pick up on what was started- demo's for the new CD had already been recorded, and we had some interest from a few Prog labels, but...

Truth be told- Starcastle have never recieved a cent in royalties since CBS dropped the band in 1978. Numerous contacts with CBS and the former management have gone almost unanswered, yet all 4 albums have been reissued, so someone is making money somewhere via creative accounting. This has left the band with a monthly ASCAP check and little else. A couple years ago Renaissance records released "Concert Classics". This recording was done at a radio promo at Trod Nossel studios in Connecticut in front of 30 people. Crowd noise was added later. It was not intended for mass release and had no input from the band. The booklet liner notes are incorrect, and the sound quality is suspect. Renaissance had ample oppurtunity to contact us about this release prior to it's street date, but never did. We only found out about it after the fact in a Trade magazine. No royalties have been paid to the band at this point, and we consider this to be a bootleg.

So with this in mind- it was difficult for Starcastle to look at yet another record contract (and label Interferance) and not wonder what the outcome will be, so we looked at our other options, and decided to form a label with myself, Gary Strater, Terry Luttrell, and Mark Rubel from Pogo Productions in Illinois. This way- at least initially we would be able to control some of what the band does, as well as develop other bands within the Pomp/ Progressive sphere.

In order to get the label off the ground and the new Starcastle completed, we need to generate income. I had been pushing the band for years to dig out the tapes, and put together a compilation of unreleased material. In our current situation the timing was perfect, and "Chronos 1" was what we needed to generate revenue for the new project.

The CD has sold well. We are distributed in Europe by Musea, Marquee in Japan, and a varitey of outlets throughout the US, including Wishing Well, Kinesis, and others. Terry Luttrell and Gary Strater have both been interviewed for "Progression" magazine which will hit newstands in 2 weeks. Colossus Magazine in Finland has just done an Interview with Steve Hagler. Next week Terry will appear on VH1's REO behind the music thing. We have been approached by two Progfests to do shows next year, as well as club dates. Last but not least- Starcastle go into the studio next week to continue and finish work on the remaing songs for the next CD, which is 1/2 complete. It's because of "Chronos" we are able to do this on our own.

So as you see- we have a lot going on, and a lot of work before us. It's been 24/7 since we started this. When we announced "Chronos", we never pretended it to be something other than what it was and made this very clear. Sorry to dissapoint you, but your's is the first negative comment about it's content I have heard. Did you actually buy the CD? Probably not.

I DID buy Catley's and stand by my comment.

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Saracen 76 Eric Abrahamsen 07/15/2001 07:19AM
Re: Saracen 60blm07/15/2001 06:03PM
Re: Saracen 65 Music Man 07/15/2001 10:38PM
Re: Starcastle98 Eric Abrahamsen 07/16/2001 02:12AM
Re: Starcastle 60 Music Man 07/21/2001 07:38AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.