One of those Montreux nights...
Posted by: Peter M. Bietenholz ()
Date: July 08, 2001 12:17AM

Went to yesterday's opening night and, once again, got treated to some fine music. First up was the Burr Johnson Tio, an unsigned Fusion band from the States. All top notch musicians, especially their drummer, Thierry Arpio, is somebody to watch out for. He played very heavy for a fusion guy (and looked like a Heavy Metal dude), but still with a lot of finesse. Compositions wise not that strong (yet).

Next up was Gary Moore. Well, what can I say, the guy just never disappoints. 70+ minutes of kick ass Bluesrock and a sound to die for. Awesome.

Then it was Larry Carlton and Steve Lukather. The show they put one was very special and one of my gig highlights in recent years. They jammed for about 90 minutes, mostly stuff from their recent live album. Larry absolutely blew me away. I have never seen a guitar player with such a gentle touch and so much feel. And not only that, he can also let it rip and delivered some blistering, razor sharp licks. Luke tried very hard to keep up but had absolutely no chance to come even close. He rightfully referred to Larry as his "teacher" and was in awe all night, just watching and smiling at the guy and shaking his head. Very heads up for a guy with such a name and reputation to put his ego to the side. Even Brian May, who came on stage for an encore, seemed to freeze up a bit next to Carlton. It was truly fun to see these two Rock legends getting smoked by this average-joe-looking-jazz guy.

Peter

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
One of those Montreux nights...59Peter M. Bietenholz07/08/2001 12:17AM
Re: Fusion 55 Eric Abrahamsen 07/08/2001 03:34AM
Re: Fusion 48Peter M. Bietenholz07/08/2001 09:08PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.