Musical comebacks???
Posted by: Honestabe ()
Date: June 30, 2001 10:49PM

I just thought I'd throw in my two cents here. I've been hearing fellow fans for years say that they wish 80's style melodic rock would come back BIG. I've often been one of them. In some ways, I think we've seen a musical evolution. Bon Jovi hit big recently of course, but what does that mean for our old favorites? Def Leppard, Journey, et. al. I LOVE the new Journey album, no question. Quite possibly my favorite new album this year. It would sure be nice to hear something like "Higher Place" on american rock radio. I find myself gravitating towards those "hits of the 70's, 80's, and 90's" radio stations now. Anyway, I've seen some interesting posts here regarding Andrew's editorial. One person stated that today's youth want nothing but negative, angry rock. (Loved the reworked song titles. We left out "Up All Night, Tweak all Day" by Slaughter, "Wait [I Never Had a Chance to Beat You]" by White Lion, and "Fallen Devil" by Poison!) I'm not sure I agree entirely, though. Sure, rock fans are focused on Pantera and Korn and Slipknot and so on. And then there's the other extreme: Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys, etc. But, what about the popularity in recent years of bands like Matchbox Twenty, Hootie and the Blowfish, Vertical Horizon, etc.? These are bands that have a little more positive sound and still have a rock element. I think Bon Jovi's retooling actually puts them in line with bands like these. I can easily hear "It's My Life" fitting in with "Bent" and "Everything You Want".

But what does this mean for our other old favorites? I don't think Poison, Warrant, Journey, etc should stray too far from their classic sound, but how do they stay relevant and "ride the coattails" of Bon Jovi's success? In some ways, I categorize the Bon Jovi comeback the same way I think of the Aerosmith comeback in the mid-80's. It didn't herald a huge resurgence of 70's bands, it simply allowed a great 70's band to find success and relevance in the 80's (and beyond). We did see some 70's bands with 80's success (Kiss, Boston, Van Halen) but it was fewer and farther between. The thing is, it does go full circle. The Pearl Jam mania seems to have cooled to a certain extent, after all.

Anyway, I guess I may be raising more questions than answers. I'd love to see what anyone else thinks of this. So, until Survivor does "The Search is Worthless", Journey does "Just Stop Believin'", and Bon Jovi does "Life Without a Prayer", make mine melodic!

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Musical comebacks???61 Honestabe 06/30/2001 10:49PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.