You're killing me man!!
Posted by: Captain Can Man ()
Date: June 17, 2001 02:07PM

What I loathe about hairbands is the ones that were NOTHING BUT hairspray, more makeup than Tammy Faye Bakker, spandex and cheese ballads. Randy Rhoads doesn't belong on that list. He was the only guitarist of the era worthy to challenge Eddie Van Halen. All the others were wannabes or hacks in comparison.

You are an interesting sort FORD. You should seriously take a crobar and try to pry open your mind. I have never seen anyone so narrow minded on this board except a guy named Trent from a long time ago. To think that there is a person somewhere out there that is convinced the world of guitar started with Eddie and ended with Randy is so sad. Here's a short list of incredible guitarists that apparently you missed during the 80's who carved out their own distinctive style while still managing to fit within the type of music that was going on at the time. I'm sure there are more, this is just off the top of my head. Keep in mind all the ones on this list were considered to be part of the "hair genre" except about 5 of them and I mentioned them because of your comment about Randy being the only guitarist "worthy" in that whole era. All of these guitarists had material "worthy" during the 80's.

John Sykes
George Lynch
John Norum
Kee Marcello
Nuno Bettoncourt
Steve Stevens
Neal Schon (Journey - 80-85)
Dann Huff
Chris DeGarmo
Ronni LeTekro
Rik Emmett
Alex Lifeson
Steve Howe
Reb Beach
Vito Bratta
Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
Steve Morse
Eric Johnson
Richie Sambora

While most of these guitarists did play alot of hammer on's like Eddie and Randy because that's was selling at the time, they also took the guitar in different directions and did some very unique things of their own. Listen to John Sykes guitar sound sometime. It was the best of the 80's in many peoples opinion. Check out "Midsummer's Daydream by Rik Emmett in 1984. It is one of the most beautiful pieces of guitar work ever. I personally do not like any instrumental piece by Eddie or Randy better than that one. Listen to the sound and style Steve Howe did in Asia. There was no other sound like it. It was as unique as Brian May's sound, which is another one who was completely original that you overlooked.

Joe Satriani??? Have you even listened to his material? Are you really going to sit there and say Joe wasn't original? Eric Johnson made a Fender Strat say things Stevie Ray Vaughn even took notice of. Vito Bratta was an incredible acoustic 12 string player as well as lead solo's. Sure he took from the great Eddie, just as Eddie took from the great Jimi Hendrix. But Vito mixed many of his own styles and unique arrangements also.

Have you ever tried to play the opening riff to "Wanted Dead or Alive"? Did Richie steal that from Randy or Eddie?? I could go on and on and on naming every original thing I loved about my list of guitarists but I just don't have the time to sit here all night.

Just because these guitar players did some of the things that Eddie and Randy did does not mean that they did absolutely nothing original and innovative. There was alot more great music out there than Van Halen, Bad Company, and Randy Rhodes. You missed out horribly FORD!

Rock and Roll is all about taking from the generation before and making your own play on it.
Take DLR for instance, was he the first frontman to ever put his hand on his hip and point at the crowd? Maybe he was the first frontman to grow his hair out long or say the "F" word on stage. I don't think so! What DLR did was took from Mick Jagger, Roger Daltry, and Robert Plant, added some back flips, added a banshee mating call, did his best imitation of Frank Sinatra and called it a day! He put his own twist to things. That's exactly what the guitarists I named did also. They didn't have a "Randy Rhodes Big Note Guitar Book" in front of them when they played.

As far as Randy being the only guitarist good enough to stand on the same stage with Eddie, well that just some kind of dream your having. ALL of the ones on my list can stand on the same stage with Eddie. I'd say Eddie would show them a thing or two and then Eddie would learn a thing or two. There is no human being that has done every imaginable chord combination, lead riff, finger-picking, ect...... on the guitar. Eddie would learn some new tricks from any guitarist I named. I hope you're getting all of this FORD. I really hope it's sinking in.

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Quiet Riot 85danthecdman06/16/2001 09:18AM
Re: Quiet Riot 64 Brian 06/16/2001 10:19AM
Re: Quiet Riot 58danthecdman06/16/2001 11:51AM
Gotta agree 62 Benno 06/18/2001 02:58PM
Re: Quiet Riot 70 FORD 06/16/2001 02:21PM
Re: Quiet Riot 65danthecdman06/16/2001 09:00PM
Re: Quiet Riot 59 FORD 06/17/2001 10:48AM
Re: Quiet Riot 57danthecdman06/18/2001 12:47AM
Re: Quiet Riot 62 Captain Can Man 06/16/2001 11:27PM
Re: Quiet Riot 54 FORD 06/17/2001 10:36AM
You're killing me man!!53 Captain Can Man 06/17/2001 02:07PM
Re: You're killing me man!! 62c dog06/17/2001 03:07PM
Re: You're killing me man!! 60 FORD 06/17/2001 03:45PM
Re: You're killing me man!! 53 Captain Can Man 06/18/2001 04:30AM
Re: You're killing me man!! 65 Jason 06/18/2001 10:56AM
Re: You're killing me man!! 49 Captain Can Man 06/18/2001 11:28AM
Re: You're killing me man!! 56 Brian 06/18/2001 02:20PM
Re: You're killing me man!! 69 Captain Can Man 06/18/2001 04:00PM
Hey Captain! 60Phil 106/19/2001 02:34AM
Re: Hey Captain! 74 FORD 06/20/2001 03:21PM
Re: Quiet Riot 64c dog06/17/2001 03:32PM
Re: Quiet Riot 56 FORD 06/17/2001 03:48PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.