New band, old influences...
Posted by: Don ()
Date: June 03, 2001 07:34AM

Hi all,

I just picked up the self-titled Static in Stereo album and it’s kicking my @ss in a rather large way. When I read the credits in the liner notes, I was both surprised and amused to see the list of influences thanked by lead guitarist Ryan Kerns. Among those included are Cosmo Kramer (!), Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, Tom Petty, Chuck Berry, Les Paul, Jimmy Page, Joe Perry, Angus Young, Marty McSorely, Wendel Clark, and Ace Frehley. It was also interesting to see that the band borrowed the message that graced all of the classic Kiss albums from the ‘70s, “S.I.S. play Gibson guitars because they want the best.”

Upon hearing the disc, I’d say that the Jimmy Page and Ace Frehley influence is definitely apparent in Ryan Kerns’ playing. Despite the fact that it’s a modern rock album, there are definitely a few pages stolen from classic Kiss/Zepplin riffology texts on this album (just listen to the brief solos at the end of “Super Drop” or “Overboard” and try to tell me different!). At times the lead vocals of Todd Kerns even bear a slight resemblance to Ace Frehley’s (on tracks #3 & 4, IMO). And the somewhat impassioned upper register wails that rear their head on occasion (eg. The very end of “Heathrow 4 a.m.”) remind me a little of Chris Cornel (sp.?!) from Soundgarden.

My favorite tracks right now are “Heathrow 4 a.m.,” “Ariana Incomplete,” and “Wrapped in Celophane.” Oh, and it seems as though they had some help on the album, as well. Matthew Good gets songwriting credit on one of the album's two singles, “Super Drop.” Jeff Martin (Tea Party) contributed backing vocals on the same track. One more note of interest – three of the four band members share the same last name (Kerns), so I’m assuming they’re brothers. Kinda cool. Cheers, all.
Don

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
New band, old influences...71 Don 06/03/2001 07:34AM
Re: New band, old influences... 54Surfpunk06/04/2001 06:58AM
Re: Sorry to hear... 59 Don 06/04/2001 05:47PM
Re: New band, old influences... 57Steve06/04/2001 07:45AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.