What motivates you to create (music, art, etc)?...
Posted by: Robert A. ()
Date: May 27, 2001 07:50AM

Hello all,

My name is Robert Ault. I first visited this site 3 years ago when I was a sophomore in High School. Now as a sophomore in college (Purdue rules!), I was wondering what motivates people to create?
The reason why I am asking this is while I was visiting the Boston website, I stopped by the Walk On section of the website bulletin board. I noticed that a lot of people were talking about the Rockline interview. Tom Scholz talked about how the fan letters keep him going when he doesn't feel like it anymore. I remember staying up till 12 am listening to the interview while recording it off the radio and that quote caught my attention.
A lot of people at the board were concerned that Tom Scholz wasn't creating music for himself but just for the fans. A few believed that music (art in general) should be to satisfy yourself.
I believe that in a way, art should be to satisfy you is true. On the other hand, I love to create objects that totally inspire other people and make them think differently. Many people forget about stress and enjoy life when they see/hear art, that in turn helps me to continue. I also get motivation by doing community service and mission trips.

Hopefully, this isn't a confusing post. I just would like to hear from artists out there as well as "practical" people out there that create things other than art.

Take it easy!

Robert

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
What motivates you to create (music, art, etc)?...54 Robert A. 05/27/2001 07:50AM
Re: What motivates you to create (music, art, etc) 45 Eric Abrahamsen 05/28/2001 07:08AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.