The end of 'traditional' music retail outlets ...
Posted by: Big Dogster ()
Date: June 09, 2000 03:52AM

Surfpunk wrote:
-------------------------------
For what it's worth I'm resigned to the fact that 'traditional' music retail outlets are ultimately doomed.

The fact that it is doomed may have much more to do with the Internet competition than say Napster. I may have only bought 10 mainstream CDs in the last two years, but I bought them on the Net instead of the local retailers. Now I may not be that typical (what was your first clue? ;), but I suspect that the buy-it-on-the-Net trend will only go up over the years. I only see the larger, nationwide retailers surviving. I do at least see them surviving.

Why?

Because a large percentage of the music buying public is rather stupid. Here in the US, most of our malls have CD stores which have astronomical prices and have lousy selections. These stores survive because mall shoppers will pay for the store's convenience (instead of stopping at the Best Buy/Circuit City which are located near the mall and which have the best prices). I never see these mall stores going away (or the Best Buys for that matter).

With the advent of broad band where everybody can have at least a T1 connection, retaill CD stores will be capable of buring CDRs and inserts on the fly making each store its own little CD manufacturing plant. CD retail stores then will no longer need to sink any money in inventory, which should allow them to lower their costs per CD. CDs also would no longer go out of primt in this scenario, which would be music to Jack's ears.

BD

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
More Nap talk!!!!!! 155 Jack 06/08/2000 03:01AM
None if your options are really viable ... 136 Copious K9 06/08/2000 05:20AM
RE: None if your options are really viable ... 141 Jack 06/08/2000 05:49AM
RE: None if your options are really viable ... 145Surfpunk06/08/2000 06:05AM
RE: More Nap talk!!!!!! 142Surfpunk06/08/2000 05:58AM
UK sales and shit/Def Leppard.... 123 Jack 06/08/2000 06:23AM
The end of 'traditional' music retail outlets ...116 Big Dogster 06/09/2000 03:52AM
RE: More Nap talk!!!!!! (my 2c worth) 105 Richard Stewart 06/08/2000 09:43PM
RE: More Nap talk!!!!!! (my 2c worth) 131 Big Dogster 06/09/2000 03:26AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.