RE: More Nap talk!!!!!!
Posted by: Surfpunk ()
Date: June 08, 2000 05:58AM

Phew!! Jack, you're right. I'm not sure I could keep up with all that but it does make interesting reading.

For what it's worth I'm resigned to the fact that 'traditional' music retail outlets are ultimately doomed. At least here in the UK, and as I only work for one of the companies rather than own the business, I can at least move into other areas.
(Actually I'm going back to University anyway!) Maybe I'm just being sentimental but it is sad to see it happen.

There are a couple of points I'd like to mention though.This subject received the cover story in this weeks NME over here. The Napster sponsored Limp Bizcuit tour was mentioned and I was just thinking that if Napster lose this case in court to the artists, Fred Durst could end up having to pay for this tour himself! Wonder what he'll think of Napster then?

The other is not exactly Napster related. I just want to know why sales of music in the US are so much higher (pro rata) than here in England. It's been mentioned that sales don't seem to be suffering in the US but as I mentioned in my last post UK sales are nothing like they were. Are chart CD's being sold in Wallmart etc. at discount prices over there? Personally I believe a lot of the blame lies with the way the UK arms of the major labels promote music. Sony did an appalling job of promoting the new Matchbox 20 album in England including running out of stock in the first week! I just think UK labels are too 'style' conscious rather than being prepared to give the buyers what they want. The two biggest selling UK acts over the last year in the US were DEF LEPPARD and BUSH. A fact that has barely been reported over here because these are acts are not 'cool' and it would not look good for the industry to have 'old' acts out selling the likes of OASIS or the CHEMICAL BROTHERS. Put simply the truth hurts.

Lastly I just wanted to make everyone aware that the UK music charts are compiled from sales information ONLY, donated by key retail oulets (of which my company is one). So, if you don't shift units through these retailers you don't chart. If you don't chart radio won't play you. So, bearing in mind that most AOR is purchased in the UK via mail order it doesn't matter how many units are sold they won't show in the chart!

The US chart is compiled from sales AND airplay information so requesting your fave band on the radio really can make a difference. Wheras we can ask as many times as we want but if they don't wanna play it...they won't!

Sorry to get off the point Jack but I'd be interested to see if anyone's got any comments on this information as well.

Later...

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
More Nap talk!!!!!! 155 Jack 06/08/2000 03:01AM
None if your options are really viable ... 136 Copious K9 06/08/2000 05:20AM
RE: None if your options are really viable ... 140 Jack 06/08/2000 05:49AM
RE: None if your options are really viable ... 144Surfpunk06/08/2000 06:05AM
RE: More Nap talk!!!!!!140Surfpunk06/08/2000 05:58AM
UK sales and shit/Def Leppard.... 121 Jack 06/08/2000 06:23AM
The end of 'traditional' music retail outlets ... 116 Big Dogster 06/09/2000 03:52AM
RE: More Nap talk!!!!!! (my 2c worth) 104 Richard Stewart 06/08/2000 09:43PM
RE: More Nap talk!!!!!! (my 2c worth) 129 Big Dogster 06/09/2000 03:26AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.