Re: John Waite on eBay
Posted by: Jack ()
Date: May 14, 2001 05:53PM

Hey folks,

On the old Newsdesk, Andrew wrote about the JW disc:

>>But in this case, the leak is doing fans a favor, as information on his upcoming album has been simply impossible to find out - even though it is only weeks away!

So I did some digging, and this does seem to be true. Forget about actual details on the album, song titles and so on, simply news about a new John Waite album coming out is nowhere to be found. Now it is, of course, because of an accident - some person selling it on e-bay which Andrew picked up. It bothers me a bit....why the secrecy? We can't blame this one on MTV and grunge....secrecy to the point where his official website doesn't even mention there will be a new album for sale in a few weeks. www.johnwaite.com has zilch. Stupid, stupid, stupid. There is a marked difference between a major leak sabotaging the release and having the tracks all around Napster, and at least *trying* to tell the news, create some kind of buzz and fan expectation, spread the word. @!#$, I didn't even know a JW record was going to be out, had no idea until I saw Adnrew's news item on the E-bay auction. And I'm into the AOR scene, I actually care about a JW record and try to keep my ear to the ground, so think of the people who are more casual about his music, your standard adult contemporary listener.....So on the one hand, I'm looking forward to listening to the new tunes, I like John as much as the next melodic rock fan and think it's good news that a new album is so close. Definitely want to hear it.

But hasn't he learned anything? John is riding a wave of flops, most notably the latest, When You Were Mine, which despite being a very good - if overly mellow & moody - disc sold something like a painfully pitiful 4,000 copies on Mercury. Now that he's on a much smaller label, the fans that care are kept in the dark about any news of the record, details, etc...and most dont even know it's coming. What a clever strategy! He's not notorious enough to pull a Van Halen, where there are whispers of mystery and epectation because of the silence....hell, even on the VH case, people stopped giving a @!#$ after a while before Eddie finally fessed up some weeks ago.

When the new JW album stiffs, I just don't want to hear John whining again about how his management/record company/whoever bungled the release and poked him in the ass once again. He's responsible for his fate in the sense that if he doesn't promote it at all beforehand, so much so that his official site doesnt even mention it, and is hush hush about the whole thing, what does he expect?

@!#$, he has that upcoming Journey/Frampton/Waite-Bad English tour, the biggest tour he's been on in what, over a decade? Definitely...he's finally going to get out of the coffee houses and @!#$. So why not strike while the iron is hot, goddammit? Hell, even netwaite.com which has really rabid JW fans basically had a grand total of zero details about the new album until this E-bay story cropped up. If this one stiffs, no pissing and moaning about it, ok, John?

Cheers,
Jack.

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
John Waite on eBay 65 koogles 05/14/2001 08:32AM
Re: John Waite on eBay 45 Tinger 05/14/2001 01:18PM
John Waite/Mother's Day Setlist 84 koogles 05/14/2001 01:49PM
Re: John Waite/Mother's Day Setlist 60 Tinger 05/14/2001 02:52PM
Re: John Waite/Mother's Day Setlist 71 peter 05/14/2001 06:20PM
Re: John Waite on eBay75Jack05/14/2001 05:53PM
Re: John Waite on eBay 54 koogles 05/14/2001 10:23PM
John Waite advance taken off eBay 63 koogles 05/15/2001 06:00AM
well, now we'll never hear it! 56 Andrew 05/15/2001 07:37AM
John Waite ended it himself! 53 koogles 05/15/2001 01:34PM
Re: John Waite ended it himself! 52Jack05/16/2001 03:17AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.