Mr. Danzi's operetta......
Posted by: Jack ()
Date: June 07, 2000 03:30AM

Hey Big Dan,

I'm just fine, decided to come back from the dead a while and hang out with you mortals. I didn't know I was on Prodigy, either! As far as I know, I'm on Telmex.....

Good to see you spent your life savings on a studio instead of fast women, dope, and those things they sell you on the telly when it gets really late at night as you sit there sprawled all over your couch and start thinking to yourself that a handy Wipe-all mop would be totally cool to have, so I gosh-darn better call in the next 15 minutes, or they won't give me the *free* instructional video that goes with it.....then one day you wake up to find you're buried in mops, orange squeezers, steak knives and Deluxe Franklin Mint (TM) conmemorative plates of the sinking of the Lusitania, and have no fucking instruments any more.

Er, anyway, that way you can rent it out and make some money. It's definitely a Good Thing that you have a band now - the whole "band feel" is something that comes through in a recording as opposed to the one-man show, you know? Will you have any big co-writer collaborations? Cause when you write with someone you're really attuned to, you kind of bounce off each other and that's magical (not that I'd know - I ain't no musician). So I like the fact that you said that the whole band wrote it (although you gotta be careful, too - maybe someone in there kinda sucks, but you feel you want to include him, etc. Sometime you have to ignore the rest of the band the way Jovi-Sambora or Jagger-Richards do). I think the basic element is good melody and lyrics people can relate to, while keeping the over-the-top guitar wanking to a bare minimum (I personally thought the Dream Theater thing, while excellent in its own right, is kind of self-indulgent). I'm going to go listen to the song after typing this out and I'll give you my opinion.

The whole it-ain't-broke-so-don't-fix-it argument only goes so far.....yes, once you have an established identity and sound your fans want you for what you are, but you don't want to ape yourself time and again. Ah, the dilemma every band faces, right? The point is to find ways to experiment within your sound. Bon Jovi's New Jersey sounds different from Keep the Faith and even Slippery, but it's till BJ at heart. Even some of the stuff from the frequently disliked These Days like "Hearts Breaking Even" or that ballad that was the first single is still within the core sound.
Or Bryan Adams from Recless to Waking up the Neighbors - different things going on, but it's still him. I think it's important that you look for new vibes and new collaborators and such, just don't become, like I said, self-indulgent and go off on a rocket ride leaving us scratching our collective heads.

Let me hear the track and I'll give ya my input.
Cheers,
Jack.
Distastefully Rotting Circus Freak.

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Mr. Danzi's opus? 203Jack.06/04/2000 09:32AM
RE: Mr. Danzi's opus? 123 Rogue 06/04/2000 03:12PM
RE: Mr. Danzi's opus? 124 Danny Danzi 06/04/2000 05:02PM
Mr. Danzi's operetta......141Jack06/07/2000 03:30AM
RE: Mr. Danzi's operetta...... 148 Danny Danzi 06/07/2000 06:06PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.