Re: Transitional Period
Posted by: Susumu ()
Date: May 06, 2001 12:54PM

Hi, folks. I live in Japan and volunteered for a community FM station and I like BURRN magazine. It is true record companies lack money for promotion.
But Japanese labels dealing with European/US releases haven't got strategy in my opinion. Radio stations lack their own policy so only the artists who have given lots of money to buy the place for drama theme songs, TV commercial sells.

Most of melodic rock labels in Japan are small and medium so they haven't got space for radio promotion which requires lots of money. Demise of Zeno, Bareknuckle is natural because they just released what they wanted to sell without little consideration of Japanese music industry's reality. They could did it because large label supported and funded them but with the downturn economy they lost such support and they should jump ship. Avalon won because they are very realistic and finally won support from TV.

In Japan many labels thinking about quiting because CD shops can hardly accept the album with little chance of sales. But fans are still around and as far as people who like melodic hard rock still love such music, the scene will survive but maybe with different labels.

See how Gotthard and Soul Doctor did in Japanese market. More and more DJs understand melodic hard rock. Just think now is transitional period.

Regards

Susumu

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Lack of Japanese Releases 60 Stuart 05/03/2001 08:57PM
Re: Lack of Japanese Releases 47Kieran05/04/2001 06:13AM
Re: Lack of Japanese Releases 48 ADOLFO 05/04/2001 06:57AM
No Japan is hurting more so... 46 Andrew 05/04/2001 07:47AM
Japan 43Chris05/04/2001 11:38AM
Re: Transitional Period42 Susumu 05/06/2001 12:54PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.