Japan
Posted by: Chris ()
Date: May 04, 2001 11:38AM

I'm a regular visitor to Japan and I follow what's going on in the scene through my Japanese wife and thru magazines like BURRN! I can tell you a few observations I've made.

1. Since grunge was basically a non-event in Japan, many worn out 80s bands and early 90s bands figured they could finish their careers or relive their glory days in the Japanese market, putting in (as some mentioned) sub-standard product. Companies like Zero didn't help, because they basically bounty hunted these guys, blowing smoke up their ass and letting them release whatever.

2. I've noticed that the Japanese music press (and indeed the music fans and "metal" sales charts) have included more attention to the more obvious western mainstream acts (Bizkit, Manson, Off Spring, Linkin Park) than would have been the case even 2 years ago. Check out a BURRN! sales chart ranking from a few years ago and you'll find Yngwie, Mr Big and Dream Theater topping the charts. These days the Japanese Charts are starting to look more like the US charts. Melodic rock as the Japanese knew it is becoming more niche by the day. A Sad thing IMO. It was always interesting to see the lack of typical @!#$ on my visits there.

I think some bands milked the Far East market for all it was worth, and now that it's a new ball game they don't like the rules.

Interesting comment about Harem Scarem. They're not a true indicator of the market I feel because they also underwent a major style change. And quantity is surely still on their RC's agenda, what with a new "best of Harem Scarem" type album out every month :)

Chris Brooks

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Lack of Japanese Releases 63 Stuart 05/03/2001 08:57PM
Re: Lack of Japanese Releases 54Kieran05/04/2001 06:13AM
Re: Lack of Japanese Releases 51 ADOLFO 05/04/2001 06:57AM
No Japan is hurting more so... 49 Andrew 05/04/2001 07:47AM
Japan51Chris05/04/2001 11:38AM
Re: Transitional Period 46 Susumu 05/06/2001 12:54PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.