Clever sophistry but ...
Posted by: Copious K9 ()
Date: June 07, 2000 04:38AM

in the end just a rationalization for breaking the law.

Dowloading propreity, copy righted songs without paying either the artist or the label is against the law. No two ways about it.

Now this does not make Metallica less the hypocrite. Metallica encourages their fans to tape their live performances (which is still copy righted material) and trade them. For them to promote one form of piracy and to go out of their way to stop the other is hypocritical. One has to wonder if they have ulterior motives. (One may first have to wonder if they are smart enough to have ulterior motives. ;)

Having said the above, I regualrly break the law :)

The big picture is that the Internet will radically change how music is delivered to customers. As is, I am not suprised that music stores are dropping their back catalog CDs, since those discs can be found for 25% less on the Net.

This is just the start. As people become more accustomed to shopping on the Net, more and more of even the recent releases will be sold via the Net. I personally have not bought a single CD in a real music store in over two years (and this has nothing to do with the emergenge of MP3s or Napster.)

Another big picture change that the Net will bring is how record labels will advertise their product. Nowadays, to break a new artist they have to get radio or video airplay. The logical next step as I see it is for for record labels to run their own Net radio station via broadcasting either MP3s or RAs. I am actually surprised the "Big Four" of MHR (N&T, Z, MTM, and Escape) have not created their own Net broadcast station. It is such a good idea.

I am sure that Surfpunk was saying "what he said" at the start of this post and now is not liking what he is reading, since I don't think real music stores have much of a future as is, unless they radically change too. the change I have in mind is for real stores to not carry any stock. The store could burn CDs and inserts on demand. All of the middle men will be out of business here. This will happen in my lifetime :)

barking on,
Big Dog

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
My thoughts on Napster... 185Jack.06/03/2000 12:38PM
RE: My thoughts on Napster... 128 Dave 06/03/2000 05:12PM
RE: My thoughts on Napster... 120 Alex siedler 06/03/2000 08:04PM
RE: My thoughts on Napster... 107 Robert 06/04/2000 03:31AM
RE: My thoughts on Napster... 123Surfpunk06/04/2000 08:18PM
RE: My thoughts on Napster... 112 Mike 06/04/2000 06:10AM
RE: My thoughts on Napster... 128 Eric 06/04/2000 08:58PM
Clever sophistry but ...119 Copious K9 06/07/2000 04:38AM
RE: My thoughts on Napster... 114 Danny Danzi 06/07/2000 07:13PM
More Nap talk!!! 131Jack06/08/2000 02:58AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.