Here are my initial thoughts on Legacy
Posted by: The Other Joe ()
Date: April 25, 2001 11:02PM

This disc meshes very well with Tyranny in the sense that it feels to me like a counterpart or bookend to the Tyranny story.

Like Carved in Stone, it strikes me as a suitable sequal to Tyranny in a chronological sense, although it has much less of a chronological feel to it than did Tyranny. Carved in Stone picked up the story from more of a narrative perspective relating the experiences and thoughts of the Tyranny "survivor" dude at some point in the future. Legacy is a much deeper continuation of the story, focusing less on a narrative of thoughts or actions and more of a true expression of the survivor's soul. This part is focused very strongly on emotions.

Since it focuses on emotions more than events, it doesn't really flow in a story-like way. Like Carved in Stone, it is steeped in metaphor and symbolism. However, Carved in Stone's imagery was focused on escape, survival, and finally relief. Legacy is clearly more focused on the type of hopeful living that flows from a profound change of heart of mind - metanoia. Although it captures the whirlwinds of changing emotions, it is infused mostly with the feeling of hope that accompanies the change.

The parallels to Carved in Stone are probably what connects the two for me. From the obvious Cliffhanger reference at the beginning which continues that particular "scene" to the Ghostship connection with First Light including what awaits on the other side of that narrow door or straight gate (depending on your translation), it is clear that the two discs are tightly related. Both are "post change" concepts that tell the rest of the story for Tyranny.

The message of CiS was most like "I hope I make it," and then, "Whew, I made it" which is centered around more of a real, physical type of survival. The message of Legacy is more like "Now I am alive. Now I am free." The result is that this disc has WAY more of a positive feel than either of the other discs which focus on negative circumstances with a glimmer of hope. This is more like a flood of hope with just a touch of the reality of hurt, pain, and suffering. The message is that all that is in the hands of a higher power calling to us all. His touch of hope is warm and real. So many different ways of looking at things. The ending of Carved in Stone was a festive celebration of thanksgiving, this ending conveys a deep sense of real peace. Another way of looking at the same thing.

This disc makes it official. Shadow Gallery is my favorite band. They have an impressive ability to reach through the mind into the heart. For me, this is another masterpiece - again the feel of the music exactly matches what they are saying.

Joe

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
What's the longest song you ever heard? 84 koogles 04/25/2001 11:41AM
Re: What's the longest song you ever heard? 62mark kennedy04/25/2001 05:36PM
Re: What's the longest song you ever heard? 60 Andrew 04/25/2001 06:59PM
...PS, how good is "Legacy" ? 67 Tavas 04/25/2001 10:17PM
Here are my initial thoughts on Legacy64 The Other Joe 04/25/2001 11:02PM
Re: Here are my initial thoughts on Legacy 70 Tavas 04/25/2001 11:14PM
Re: Here are my initial thoughts on Legacy 56 koogles 04/26/2001 08:31AM
Re: Here are my initial thoughts on Legacy 72 Daniel 04/26/2001 09:03AM
It's my favourite band too!! 62Francesco04/29/2001 07:59PM
Ice Cream Man - Van Halen 56 Mrpool 04/26/2001 12:21AM
Re: What's the longest song you ever heard? 59Tony M04/26/2001 02:00AM
Re: What's the longest song you ever heard? 65Kieran04/26/2001 09:43AM
Yee-haw! Saddle up, it's Southern Boogie Time!! 58Surfpunk04/26/2001 03:51AM
Long Songs 56 Phil 1 04/27/2001 05:33AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.