Review of SEVEN WISHES
Posted by: Blackout ()
Date: April 18, 2001 05:01AM

Since I have both S/T and Utopia, I figure I can review both of them.

Andrew said it best in his review, European Melodic Metal plain and simple But there is a lot of Dokken to be heard in this band.

S/T: The best songs are earlier in the album. We Want It All, One To Blame, Bring Me To Heaven...all are tightly arranged songs with good strong riffs. The later ballad Bring Me To Heaven is quite good. Here's the problem:

The lyrics are horrible. Horrible.

The vocals are great and the lead singer has a cool Helloween-esque kind of voice crossed with Don Dokken but I guess, these guys are Swedish and their hold on the English languege isn't too firm. That's fine but it really makes the songs kind of laughable when the lyrics are printed.I don't think Z should have printed the lyrics. Oh well. Words are misused, sentences don't make sense and one song is called 'Love Affection' What's up with that?

Anyway:

As for UTOPIA, the second album. It appears if these guys have taken a correspondence course. The words are used, for the most part, properly and some of the arrangements are stronger. One of the best tracks is Take This Heart which almost has a Europe feel to it. In fact, this is what Europe might sound like if they had a more metallic sound. I like Out Of Sight and Restless Heart as well. Most of the songs are strong and catchy. If you dig Dokken, Europe, and maybe even old-school Leatherwolf - you'll dig this album. Again, the lyrics are printed and even though they are better and slightly more thought-out then the last album....there are some howler lines in there that you are better off not reading if you want to enjoy the songs. The words sound better when sung, not read.

Both albums are strong slices of melodic metal, if you don't mind some seriously silly songwriting then you'll dig Seven Wishes for what they are....

JBO

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Review of SEVEN WISHES80 Blackout 04/18/2001 05:01AM
Re: Review of SEVEN WISHES 55 KAOS FAN 04/18/2001 05:59PM
Re: Review of SEVEN WISHES 65Stringbender04/18/2001 06:38PM
Re: Review of SEVEN WISHES 54 Blackout 04/19/2001 05:01AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.