A review of NEMELROCK !!!
Posted by: Tavas ()
Date: April 09, 2001 07:19PM

Hi boys and girls (chicos y chicas)

So this weekend I went to Spain for the first time in my life...and it was great !!!
(this also had to do with the female company I had on sunday...but I guess you aren't interested in that...)

So to business: Nemelrock

1. I really liked the venue, no to small, not to big...a rock atmosphere...

2. First band: "91 Suite"
To come straight to the point: These guys were amazing !!! I had never heard them before, but as far as the music was concerned, they wouldn't be topped that day (in my opinion). The singer had a great voice and the songs were full of great hooks...I was blow away...please tell me more about this band !!! I hope they bring out an album real soon. The only minor critisism is that the stage performance still needs work, but than again, you can't expect a young band opening a festival to be all over the place... (Also very important, this young Spanish band sings in english).

3. Elyte
I had only heard one song before of these guys on a rock sampler and I really liked it. The thing is...these guys sing in spanish, and I didn't have a clue what it was all about. Although I liked their show, it didn't impress me as much as 91 Suite. I read somewhere that they would re-record their album in English and I think this is the only way to get big outside of Spain...
Anyway, I liked it, they weren't the best band that day but if they would ever come to Belgium I would certainly go to the gig

4. Rafa Martin
To be honest, I wasn't expecting anything from this...I read comments that he was the Spanish version of Bryan Adams so I was expecting a calm affair but I worked out OK, again most of the time I didn't have a clue what it was all about (I'm working on my Spanish though....) but I also liked it. The thing I remember most was the very warm sound of the guitar (Fender Strat), it really fitted the music very well. Good show !

5. Adriangale
Probably the most active band of the day, good songs, unfortunately a bit loud and lots of stage performance. I think for many people this was the highlight of the day, but for me it wasn't...It was (very) good, but for some strange reason I didn't 'connect' with Jamie Rowe. Don't ask me why, maybe I wasn't expecting a new version of Jon Oliva (as far as size) on stage ...I don't know. With their last trick (bringing fans on stage) they sure got the audience on their side !!!

6. Dare
I wasn't expecting to much of this either, but Darren and his guitar player did a nice acoustic set. The contrast with Adriangale was big but many people needed a rest anyway...as always Darren delivers the goods. Good show, nothing big, just good ! (unfortunately very similar to the acoustic part they did during their last tour)

7. House of Shakira
OK, these guys rocked !!! Although their style was a bit different than most of the bands that day, I think that as far as songs was concerned they ruled. These guys look cool, and they play cool (but than again, what would you expect from Swedes...). Maybe not the crowd pleaser like Adriangale, but for me, together with 91 Suite the highlight of they day ! Full European tour please !!!!!

8. Rubber/ Harem Scarem
The thing with these guys is very clear: we all like the Moodswings area, but as far as Rubber...some hate it, some like it
If you ask me: I can dig it ! Of course I liked the older songs somewhat more, but I also enjoyed the new stuff. I even liked the way the band treated the fans, teasing them constantly..."No Justice ? Sorry we don't play that one anymore...." but don't wurry they did play it and it rocked. Anyway as always Pete and Harry deliver the goods and it wasn't any different here....

As a conclusion I can say that I liked all bands playing here (It must be the first time this happens to me on a festival).

...and the Oscar for "biggest surprise" goes to: 91 Suite
...and the Oscar for "most entertainment" goes to: Adriangale
...and the Oscar for "best songs" goes to: House of Shakira
...and the Oscar for "best news" goes to: Rubber, for announcing that they will have a new Harem Scarem album out next year !!!

Greetings and hope to be back next year !!!

Tavas

PS Many thanks to the organizers for the great line-up and you did a great job over-all !!!!

PS2 what I didn't like ?
-drinks were very expensive...600 pesetas for some water !!!!
-no tour-shirts of House of Shakira ????
-no album on sale of 91 Suite ???

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
A review of NEMELROCK !!!104 Tavas 04/09/2001 07:19PM
Re: A review of NEMELROCK !!! 67 CARLOS DESTROYER 04/09/2001 11:49PM
Re: A review of NEMELROCK !!! 69 Tavas 04/10/2001 01:47AM
91 Suite 69 ADOLFO 04/10/2001 05:22AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.