Nu -Metal vs. Nu-Breed
Posted by: Surfpunk ()
Date: April 01, 2001 04:33AM

First off, I actually like quite a lot of those bands mentioned in the post further down. (Though I have to say that LINKIN Park are pretty obviously a 'boy band' with hair dye and tattoos!!)

When I first coined the term New Breed, it was an abbreviation of New Breed of Melodic Rock. I actually hate giving music tags, it's against everything I stand for. But, they work! They give people something to identify with and the manner in which it has caught on on this board just goes to prove it.I was hoping that it would catch on in the press and to give him his due Dave Reynolds in CLASSIC ROCK has embraced the term and refers to it regularly.

The reason I have now started to refer to it as 'NU-Breed' is so it can be seen as a deliberate alternative to NU-Metal and yet by using the same terminology it may be more readily accepted.

As for defining the Nu-Breed sound, well, I don't want to pidgeon-hole it any more. It seems to me there are a lot of bands with a sense of melody that harks back to the 80's but with a modern sort of post-punk energy and attitude about them. TSAR would be a good example. These are bands that are happening NOW! They DO have appeal for classic melodic rock fans, they just wear different clothes.

I actualy have to agree with my good friend the 'Rockin' Rev'. The time is right to take this further afield. Whilst I wouldn't advocate stopping 'preaching to the converted' on melodicrock.com, I believe it needs to be spread to a more mainstream audience. Radio would be the key.

Ther's room for all sorts of bands out there, but Nu-Metal has peaked already. The next batch of bands to make it are waiting in the wings, and it's the Nu-Breed.

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Nu -Metal vs. Nu-Breed94Surfpunk04/01/2001 04:33AM
Agreed to a point 62 koogles 04/01/2001 08:18AM
Re: Agreed to a point 64 Mike Matney 04/01/2001 11:57AM
Crazy Town 54 koogles 04/01/2001 12:20PM
Re: Crazy Town 62 Mike Matney 04/01/2001 12:45PM
I want my MTVX!!!!! 51 Popefreak 04/01/2001 03:21PM
Re: I want my MTVX!!!!! 71 Mike Matney 04/02/2001 01:03AM
Re: NU METAL BAND TO CHECK OUT 44-Rob04/02/2001 01:19AM
Re: NU METAL BAND TO CHECK OUT 53 dee 04/02/2001 10:37PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.