AOR/MHR:MY VIEW
Posted by: KAOS FAN ()
Date: April 15, 2000 01:37PM

Just recently, there has been some interesting debate on the popularity of melodic rock/aor, with some people like John Q taking a negative viepoint seeing the genre as being stagnant or even struggling. I disagree totally. For a start, labels like ESCAPE and FRONTIERS have only been formed in the last few years specifically to cater for this type of music. Okay sales have not been monstrous but growth is occuring and unlike alternative music and the boy band phenomenon not subject to trends. It's too be expected that in the process of time more labels will appear and through the proliferation of the INTERNET lesser known bands will gain greater exposure.
The other argument that I saw pointed to melodic rock having its day, especially that derogatory term "80s bands", some pointing to everyone looking the same, too many "hair bands" etc. Well, what explains POISON selling out 20000 seat arena's on last years tour and if grunge was a reaction to "hair bands" (you know one of the arguments all the bands look the same) why do most grunge, alternative, boy bands sport identical looks - in the time of grunge it was actually cool to look ugly!
MELODIC ROCK WILL NEVER DIE! Though I personally liked many of the hair bands in their late 80s peak(Poison, Warrant etc) and the less heralded and higher quality acts like Lillian Axe AND DIVING FOR PEARLS, the tides of time and proliferation of smaller quality labels have ensured that quality acts like HEARTLAND, HUGO, THE DISTANCE, MILLENIUM etc survive. Its up to us to keep the melodic rock flame burning
Oh, and John PANTERA did not save metal. Outside of the English speaking world(specifically US, UK, AUST,) melodic metal whether of the power/progressive persuasion dominates. When I travelled throughout Europe people were talking about IRON MAIDEN, HELLOWEEN ,STRATOVARIUS etc., bands that still believe in the power of melody and "real" vocals not growly distorted vocals ala Pantera, Korn, Limp Bizkit etc. In Brazil one of the popular bands is Angra who in the space of a couple of years have become very popular with their brand of melodic metal
Finally, if melodic rock is on the wane what explains the whole panoply of reunions - NIGHT RANGER , rumoured DAMN YANKEES , RATT, DIVING FOR PEARLS(new studio album coming), IRON MAIDEN(massive world tour imminent). These bands all experienced some hiatus in the last decade and are now back. Melodic rock will never die because there will always be people out there who want to hear a good tune(melody), want to hear "fun" music and are discriminating in their tastes. Cheers to all, what do you think!

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
AOR/MHR:MY VIEW296 KAOS FAN 04/15/2000 01:37PM
RE: AOR/MHR:MY VIEW 207 Mike Matney 04/16/2000 12:30AM
You know what it is.... 230 Andrew 04/16/2000 09:12AM
RE: You know what it is.... 252 Mike Matney 04/16/2000 09:55AM
Also.... 206 Geoff 04/16/2000 11:04AM
RE: Also.... 213 Susumu 04/16/2000 10:12PM
Diversity seems to be at an all time low ... 198 Big Doggie 04/16/2000 01:11PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.