Re: what is remastering?
Posted by: Danny Danzi ()
Date: March 25, 2001 11:03PM

How bout an artist's perspective? :-) Remastering comes in a few forms. Some times "remixed and remastered" pokes its head out. Mastering is basically this. You know how you walk up to your stereo and mess with the treble, mid, and bass controls? You are mastering that album. What the lables will do is get the master mix from the band, and send it to a mastering house to do what you did. Eq the whole mix. There are other goodies they do to it as well, but I don't want to lose you. :-) Compression, leveling, normalization....all things that make a regular mixed album sound better. Fade in's and out's etc.

So when you see that "remastered" word, it just means that they took a fresher approach to making the album (that was mastered once already by someone else) sound better because they believed in it and thought a different guy (and newer technology of today) would make it a better sounding album.

Some bands/labels even will go as far as to remix an album, or patch edit some new things into the already present recording. Once they do that, they'll remix all the instruments, vocals etc and maybe make it more guitar oriented than the previous time the album was released....or maybe the drums were too loud/keys too loud. Once they do that, the'll master it once again. So that's what they do for the most part. Hopefully I explained this in a language you could understand without getting too "techy". If I lost you, just post something up and I'll try my best to straighten ya out. :-) Peace....

Danny Danzi
http://www.dannydanzi.com

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
what is remastering? 99Mr. Munson03/24/2001 05:34PM
Re: what is remastering?67 Danny Danzi 03/25/2001 11:03PM
Re: what is remastering? 60Tony M03/26/2001 04:21AM
Re: what is remastering? 67 Carl 1 03/26/2001 05:50AM
Re: what is remastering? 66Tony M03/26/2001 06:10AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.